original registration

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
original registration
- Apr 14, 2009 - 22:27
How can i find original registration for my land rover?Current reg is LCA 86 chassis 47100041 first reg in Bulwell Notts i think. It is a 1954 86 inch model very early.

Offline Johnners733

• LRSOC Member
Re: original registration
Reply #1 - Apr 14, 2009 - 22:54
What makes you think that is not the original registration?

The DVLA can give you the complete registration history for the vehicle, have a good trawl about their website and there should be a link to help you - someone else may know what it is.

Years ago, if you sent them 5 they would send you a copy of all the records they held on any given vehicle.  I had a 1956 86" 170602950 which had been WCV 898, 447KV, AFJ 862A and then finally RSK 402.  Is it still about?

Cheers

JD

Offline Phil

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Apr 14, 2009 - 23:32
You have given your registration as LCA.
When these plates were allocated the licencensing authority would have had a specific set of letters available to it. These show as the last two letters on a three letter plate, meaning that your plate was issued by whichever authority had been allocated CA.
I do not know where that was but I suspect someone else might.
As to Bullwell, that is part of the City of Nottingham and the allocated plates for Nottingham were AL, AU, TO and TV. There were some other letters for the county of Nottingham but I am sure CA was not one of them.
Which letters were allocated to which authority seems to be a random thing  so CA would probably not be allocated to Carlisle or Canterbury.
My own reg ends in RA, which is Derby!

Cheers

Phil

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #3 - Apr 15, 2009 - 00:17
CA is Denbighshire and you are in luck as the complete run of original Regisration details (1903 - 1976) are at Ruthin.
Contact details are Denbighshire Record Office, 46 Clwyd Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire. LL15 1HP.

TomC

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #4 - Apr 15, 2009 - 08:34
LCA is Denbighshire as stated. I can also tell you that LCA series was issued from August 1954, which ties with the date of build of your Land Rover. 'CA' is not one of the usual re-issue series, so unless it was put on the vehicle by a previous owner as a 'private' reg, rather than the DVLA as a re-issue, I would be pretty sure that it is the original registration number.  ;D

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Apr 15, 2009 - 08:42
When i bought Gertie there was paperwork applying for an age related plate and it also states on logbook,or whatever they call it these days,that reg is not transferable.Will have a look at paperwork that came with her and try DVLA as well.
Thanks

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #6 - Apr 15, 2009 - 08:51
Sometimes when the original reg has been reallocated, it will be reallocated on a non-transferable basis. If documents were not sent back to the DVLA when the computers were updated in the 1970s/80s some vehicles 'fell-off' the system. When some have supporting evidence to prove the original number the DVLA allowed it to be kept, but on a non-transferable basis. Because the DVLA don't care about history, unless you asked for the original documents to be returned to you, they kept them and destroyed them!!In my view cars that have kept the original numbers on a non-transferable basis are brilliant, because no-one can now rob these vehicles of their numbers (although I understand there is a loophole..........). It really bugs me that Series Ones are still bought to be robbed of their numbers, so losing their identification and history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope no-one on this site would do this these days!!!!!!!

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Apr 15, 2009 - 09:16
Just rang DVLA they still trace vehicles history for 5 fee ,if they don't find anything you get a refund.

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #8 - Apr 15, 2009 - 10:12
Then try the Denbighshire county council offices (or whoever they have become, or been amalgamated with). Some offices still keep the original registration records for their area.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Apr 15, 2009 - 10:47
Found GUY 642C written in workshop manual could this be it or is it another existing reg?

Offline 34058

Reply #10 - Apr 15, 2009 - 11:07
Found GUY 642C written in workshop manual could this be it or is it another existing reg?
I doubt it is the original registration number.  C suffix was 1963.
Does your vehicle appear to be ex-military?

GUY 642 C is still registered.

Date of Liability 01 07 2009
Date of First Registration 14 12 1995
Year of Manufacture 1995
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2495CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null

David.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - Apr 15, 2009 - 11:32
Will see what dvla turn up with.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Apr 15, 2009 - 12:10
Found old logbook and application paperwork for reissue of original registration.PO had told me it was not it's original reg but i should have checked it myself.What a brill reg for an 86 inch though.Now need to find out how it got from wales to notts.
Thanks for help all.

Offline TomC

Reply #13 - Apr 15, 2009 - 14:21
It would still be worth your while to contact the Denbighshire Archives at the address / telephone I gave and ask them about a photocopy of the original documents.  I have done this on four occasions and only ever been asked to pay once (30p).  The information is always interesting and has never been supplied by the DVLA who tend to only go back about half way as their records are only relatively recent.

TomC.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Apr 15, 2009 - 15:05
Tom, tried tel number but it is a private one.The guy gave me another number this was the local council they just told me it was now done through DVLA.Now found correct number rang them they are looking to see if they have anything.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Apr 15, 2009 - 15:48
Archive rang back and confirmed first reg'd in Denbighshire then Notts in 1967 could not tell me any more though.Perhaps she should have a Welsh name how about MyfanwyGrin

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #16 - Apr 15, 2009 - 20:21
What about Elsie? LC - A......

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #17 - Apr 15, 2009 - 20:46
I was going to rename her that when i first bought her but decided to leave her as Gertie.Got in touch with a signwriter about changing it,i think he thought i was barkingCheesy

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal