I'm not sure what to do with my Series 1 86" in the long term.

auf_wiedersehen_pet

I'm not sure what to do with my Series 1 86" in the long term.

Currently, it has a hand made bulkhead (no vents), Series 2 rear cross member, well used body work, 235/85 BFG MTs on Modulars (stick out well past the body), MOT just gone, Tax going at the end of this month - Basically it will never be a "minter".

The problem is that I've spent 11 months trying to eliminate pinking - without success. I  So, there are two options - get rid of it or recondition/replace the engine.

I've heard there are several options....

Montego/Perkins TD
Essex V6 Ford 3.0
Later Series engine
V8

It only gets used as a summer car, never uses the tilt, probably does 500 miles a year. I don't want to spend ages tinkering - I just want to drive it.

What does everybody else think?

Offline Andy80 Moderator

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
As the most cost effective option would be to fit a 2 1/4 petrol or something similar as with any non rover conversion  (fair enough Rover V8 and i guess the montego engine is a rover) there is always a fair amount of tinkering and don't fill approperate for the vehicles age (loss of carcuter etc).

Have you investigate any carbon build up on you original engine as it may just need a good decoke?

Offline 34058

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Another option is to do nothing.
If it has been pinking for 11 months and is still running, then why not just keep running it as it is?
My Series Two 2286cc engine has been making a noise like it's pinking for the last 34 years and it is still running, so yours may last for years too.
If you only use it in the summer then just make sure you have your breakdown company's phone number with you and then, as you say, just get out there and drive it.
My tuppence worth.
David.

Offline Johnners733

• LRSOC Member
Rob,

It should be possible to determine whether the engine you have is basically sound (others will be able to advise you on here better than me) and therefore whether it is worth persevering with.  Is the compression good, does it run cleanly, does it use oil, does it smoke, what are the plugs like etc. If so, then it presumably just needs setting up properly (and again, others on here will advise you better than me).

If it's a good engine, but in spite of that you are minded to change it, then I might be interested in it which would help you to offset the costs of the swap...

Regards

John

auf_wiedersehen_pet

As the most cost effective option would be to fit a 2 1/4 petrol

Is that a fairly easy swap?

Have you investigate any carbon build up on you original engine as it may just need a good decoke?

That's probably the only thing I haven't done.

Another option is to do nothing.

If it has been pinking for 11 months and is still running, then why not just keep running it as it is?

It's a nice idea but I can't get past 25mph!

Is the compression good.

I've got a compression tester on order - will find out soon.

Thanks for the replies - anybody else got any thoughts.

Offline 715GC Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Hi,

John is right, assess the engine, all you need is a crank handle to find out how many compression you have, if you are down, take the head off, is it smoking or using much oil? if so it may still be worth taking the head off to see how much bore wear their is,

I may be cheaper in time and in the long run better if you keep to orginal spec.

auf_wiedersehen_pet

is it smoking or using much oil?

It kicks out black smoke for the first minute after a cold start up. Nothing when warm.

It's difficult to judge the oil usage. I've had it for five years and done 1000 miles. I think the "top ups" are due to the puddle of oil on the floor!

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Before you ditch the engine check timing , tappet settings,points,plugs,wear in dizzy etc if you cant do this yourself then take it to someone who knows landrovers as even when badly worn these engines can run for years.You may save yourself a lot of money in the long run.

Offline cjbp

• Non-Member
i have an Essex V6 in mine, although I took the original box out, and will eventually get round to fitting a 2a box.

the essex is a fiddle to fit, and will be a mess if you dont use the kit. Alternatively you could fit a cologne V6 which has a bit more BHP, but a bit less torque I think. The conversion is easier as well and the engine is much lighter.

Offline Green King

• LRSOC Member
  • If it isn't leaking, it must be empty!
Check out the inlet manifold & carb for air leaks, especialy around the spindles.  A weak mixture can cause pinking.

a replacement carb sorted the pinking on my 86"

Cheers
Glenn
 :beerchug:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal