Unrestored 80 inch

Offline djfal

• Non-Member
Unrestored 80 inch
- Apr 10, 2009 - 20:37
I know of an 80" landrover which hasn't moved from a partially collapsed shed for at least 35 years. I spoke to the owner (friend of a friend) and he said it had been in his family since new, and that if i spoke to his father I could most probably take it away if once roadworthy I showed it to him. I havent really bothered about it but I did take a look at it the other week and it actually looks in very good condition considering

As far as i know it is a possibly a 1950 model it has spring shackles on the front of the springs, not the rear like a later landrover, sidelights in the bulkhead, and a full grill with round holes for the lights (not the earlier type grill). It has its original engine and nothing has ever been modified or welded anywhere on the vehicle. It has its air cleaner mushroom still, the bulkhead has a sprinkling of surface rust but seems very solid. There is one hole in the chassis on one of the side of one of the front spring hangers, and a dent in one of the wings, but the rest of the body is very straight and all original paint.

If I was to get it I am a bit apprehensive about the state of the mechanics / engine. I dont really know much about series ones and the state of play regarding spares ie springs / parts for the 1600 engine / box / axles etc. Can anyone offer any advice, I dont really want to start it then find parts arent available and it would become an unfinished project

Offline sharkey964

• Non-Member
Re: Unrestored 80 inch
Reply #1 - Apr 10, 2009 - 20:53
NO,you dont want that,it sounds rubish.Where did you say it was? ;D
Seriously though,grab it with both hands,theres not many parts you can't get,and the advice and knowledge offered on here is brilliant.
Series 1's are so addictive,I'm sure you wont regret it if you get it.
Marc.

Offline 3sheets86

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Apr 10, 2009 - 20:56
Have a go!!!
Most parts are available but if they are rare old stock or specially made brand new copies they can be quite expensive. Cox and Turner have most engine parts available off the the shelf. The the gearbox and axles are only cogs, bearings and seals so there isn't really anything major that can't be got hold of. And I haven't yet mentioned the wealth of knowledge available at your finger tips through this forum! Generally if its all there you stand a good chance. If the one you speak of is so complete it sounds a good project.

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Reply #3 - Apr 10, 2009 - 21:06
I was in a similar situation myself last year - no land rover knowledge and worried about spares and parts and help etc ..........  all things considered I would grab this car at all speed !!!  You'll have no problems with parts if you buy carefully and sensibly - everything you'll need is available - especially this forum for all the advice and knowledge - which is free ! Good luck.

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Apr 10, 2009 - 21:36
can you post some pics?

Offline olegit

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Apr 11, 2009 - 20:58
Yes, but for your own sanity have plenty of backup cash!

Offline djfal

• Non-Member
Reply #6 - Apr 12, 2009 - 09:11
Thanks for the advice, The owner tells me that it has just over 17000 on the clock and the owner confirms it is totally genuine. I take it that would indicate that none of the mechanical parts will be too worn out?

It is half buried under a lot of general junk and I forgot to check the serial number (plate is on bulkhead under bonnet). The owner guesses it is a 1950ish model but unsure as it was used exclusivly on thier families estate for many years once a week before road registering it (it is a non transferable plate on it apparently). Going by the front spring shackles, lights through grill, sidelights in bulkhead is this an educated guess or is it likely to be a later model?

Thanks

Offline Ivor Ramsden

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Apr 12, 2009 - 09:57
From your description of the front springs having shackles at the front and headlights through the grill this sounds like a May/June 1950 vehicle although it could be earlier with a modified grill panel.

It's a good find and is well worth having and maybe keeping as original as possible.

As said above, all the help you could wish for is available here on the forum, but buy yourself a manual too!

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #8 - Apr 12, 2009 - 12:00
.....and even more important than a manual - a parts book (invaluable).

Cheers,

Chris.

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member
Reply #9 - Apr 12, 2009 - 12:05
Go for it - there is something about owning an 80, no matter how ratty or rough, that gives you a real feel good feeling.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal