I don't BELIEVE it !!

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
  • 1955 86 inch. 1960 88 inch 2009 TDV6 HSE
I don't BELIEVE it !!
- Apr 08, 2009 - 18:44
After a two year refurb, and on the day she finally got new wheels and tyres, how does she repay me..................by blowing a rear axle hub oil seal. It's only done about fourty miles since being replaced, although it was about 18 months ago now.
I can't even remember doing it, but maybe I did something wrong. The breather is clear. So instead of it being the first day of her new life, it's back in the workshop.
If I didn't have two other Landys I would find this annoying instead of regular.  :banghead:

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
Re: I don't BELIEVE it !!
Reply #1 - Apr 08, 2009 - 19:32
Thought you might like to see a photo of the old girl in finished ? state.
Rob.

Offline jonhutchings

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #2 - Apr 08, 2009 - 20:47
Looks superb! Well Done.

Oh and the rear axle oil seal thing, it might stem from the time the seal has sat in one place - at least that's what happened to me.  I rebuilt my axles but the rest of the rebuild took longer than planed (three house moves in between!) so by the time I drover her any distance, both one rear oil seal and a swivel seal (again all brand new) went.

In the case of the rear oil seal I could see the slight flat where it had been sat stationary . I reckon brand new seal and no use is the worst combination.

Plus visually at least the oil seals don't seem to be as good quality as the originals.

Jon

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - Apr 10, 2009 - 18:49
This subject continues on the Technical section under axles. Thanks.
Rob.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal