series I 1948 from turkey

Offline kaeptn

• Non-Member
series I 1948 from turkey
- Apr 07, 2009 - 21:25
hello,
im ilkay from germany (berlin).someone from viermalvier.de gave me the advice to ask you for help.
so here i am.
somebody in turkey offered me a series 1,and says that this one was one of 17 that were deelivered in 1948.i have no idea and just need a vehicle for some heavy work.
my questions:is this car (esp. roof) original?are the early series cars reliable or just car for showrooms?
somebody of viermalvier.de told me that parts for early cars are not available.
so what do you think.

thanks.

Offline 260AC Trade Advertiser

• Non-Member
Re: series I 1948 from turkey
Reply #1 - Apr 07, 2009 - 23:04
Do you have the chassis number?

Offline kaeptn

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Apr 07, 2009 - 23:26
hi,
i just wrote a mail to the owner and asked for chassis and engine number.
i will post it when he sends me.
thanks a lot for the messages i received until now.it seems that i hit the right place with my questions. ;-)

bye from berlin.
ilkay

Offline kaeptn

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - Apr 07, 2009 - 23:42
added different pics.maybe it will help.

Offline alexward

• Non-Member
Reply #4 - Apr 08, 2009 - 03:32
looks quite early, fish plate chassis, roof, door tops, and modesty sills are not standard but have been done well!

Offline Ivor Ramsden

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Apr 08, 2009 - 06:46
If you take a look at the website where it's advertised there are bigger photos. It's very, very early. It's also 10,000+ so it must be good!

I haven't got my reference books to hand. Did any of the pre-pros go to Turkey?

That chassis looks very like weathered galvanised to me.

Cue mass hysteria ...

If it's not a pre-pro then L860032, 61 and 67 went to Turkey. There may be more but I don't have any export records after 860080

Online TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #6 - Apr 08, 2009 - 10:52
Where is the website where it's advertised so we can see the bigger pictures? 
It doesn't seem to have an integral bumper, which it would have if it was pre-pro (Wouldn't it?), but of course that might have easily been damaged and replaced.
It would be interesting to see lots more pictures of all the important bits.

TomC

Offline Ivor Ramsden

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Apr 08, 2009 - 12:24
Oooh, you make it so easy, W!!  Big Laugh Out Loud

Offline bobslandies

• Non-Member
  • Real Land Rovers need no checkerplate!
Reply #9 - Apr 08, 2009 - 12:29
Looking at the windscreen frame it has no trafficator blocks and two attachment screws at the top and bottom of the uprights.
Narrows it down to pre-L860730?

Can anyone shed more light on the two screw fitments in the period pre-R/L860730?

Bob

Offline Willerby

• Administrator
Reply #10 - Apr 08, 2009 - 12:37
Oooh, you make it so easy, W!!  Big Laugh Out Loud

Sorry I spoilt your fun!

• Non-Member
Reply #11 - Apr 08, 2009 - 13:26
Well the screen has the thin centre rib so 'if' it was by the book it would be post R/L 860130 ish and pre R/L 860730. Why I say if is I was looking at a photo recently of a known late pre 1500 when new with an early screen when new. The two screws are consistently fitted around the 860200 to at least 860600 ish vehicles. I have seen R860750, very original with an early trafficator screen and photo's of R860749 new with the earlier screen. 750 is often listed in some manuals as the change. Hasn't anyone called them yet to find out what it is ???  ;)

Offline LRO53 Trade

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Apr 08, 2009 - 13:44
Well the screen has the thin centre rib so 'if' it was by the book it would be post R/L 860130 ish and pre R/L 860730. Why I say if is I was looking at a photo recently of a known late pre 1500 when new with an early screen when new. The two screws are consistently fitted around the 860200 to at least 860600 ish vehicles. I have seen R860750, very original with an early trafficator screen and photo's of R860749 new with the earlier screen. 750 is often listed in some manuals as the change. Hasn't anyone called them yet to find out what it is ???  ;)

Number rang out. It no workie....

Offline bobslandies

• Non-Member
  • Real Land Rovers need no checkerplate!
Reply #13 - Apr 08, 2009 - 14:19
Well the screen has the thin centre rib so 'if' it was by the book it would be post R/L 860130 ish and pre R/L 860730. Why I say if is I was looking at a photo recently of a known late pre 1500 when new with an early screen when new. The two screws are consistently fitted around the 860200 to at least 860600 ish vehicles. I have seen R860750, very original with an early trafficator screen and photo's of R860749 new with the earlier screen. 750 is often listed in some manuals as the change.

Thanks for the clarification Mike.
So the very challenged frame I have should suit the rebuilding/recreating of R860137.
Regards,
Bob

Offline 80inch_nut

• LRSOC Member
  • Wayne
Reply #14 - Apr 08, 2009 - 20:17
Whats the general opinion of the body work on this vehicle? The windscreen leans in at the top so is it a modified 80" screen or custom made? There are also no brackets for the original top door hinge. On the bonnet it doesn't have the top hats for the screen to sit on if folded which would give the impression it has always had this body and also no cleets on the back body for the hood straps. The front wings look like the early thicker wings, the inner edge steps out like on 860566 and 860786 this can be seen on the inner edge of the drivers side wing. It looks to have the spade back seats, and has a 27 hole grill. An interesting vehicle and if original body then would look good in a line up as its different from the rest.

Offline Rick O Shea Trade (legend Advertiser)Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • If I knew more I would be very very dangerous
Reply #15 - Apr 08, 2009 - 21:47
Guys guys GUYS some of us need to get out a lot more..... No offence.  Seriously it does look interesting but the price is a bit high or am I very much out of touch

Offline Jacksta

• Non-Member
  • LUG, shes Little Ugly and Grey
Reply #16 - Apr 08, 2009 - 21:52
I was looking at the original question, should he buy it for what he wants it to do?    for some of you read it as her.

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #17 - Apr 08, 2009 - 22:26
hello,
im ilkay from germany (berlin).someone from viermalvier.de gave me the advice to ask you for help.
so here i am.
somebody in turkey offered me a series 1,and says that this one was one of 17 that were deelivered in 1948.i have no idea and just need a vehicle for some heavy work.
my questions:is this car (esp. roof) original?are the early series cars reliable or just car for showrooms?
somebody of viermalvier.de told me that parts for early cars are not available.
so what do you think.

thanks.
Hi,It's not really the car you need to do some heavy work. It will work hard, but it is a rare early vehicle and really needs to go to an enthusiast who understands how important it is.

Rick O Shea: As for price, it depends how early a 48 it is, but  (unfortunately!) a very very early production 80 should be worth getting on that way assuming it retains early bulkhead, engine, gearbox, axles etc and not a rotten mess.......A Pre-Pro in the same condition.................more money.

Offline 80inch_nut

• LRSOC Member
  • Wayne
Reply #18 - Apr 08, 2009 - 22:44
Hi,It's not really the car you need to do some heavy work. It will work hard, but it is a rare early vehicle and really needs to go to an enthusiast who understands how important it is.

I disagree, there are too many vehicles that are restored to better than new condition and then they just as well be put in a museum and never driven. I have an October 1948 vehicle which although is a valuable vehicle it has not been restored and can regularly be seen towing my 12ft trailer fully loaded with either logs or hard core etc. I use it as it was made to be used and for me I think more should be used that way. As long as the owner knows what they have and don't make any drastic alterations from original, it can be restored at any time, if an owner gets alot of use and pleasure from the vehicle then why not.
As for values with mid pre 1500's vehicles coming on the market in totally wrecked/full restoration projects status around the 5-6000 mark (see http://www.churchill-landrover.com/Petrol.htm, which have no engine or the wrong engine then maybe this one is worth the 10000 price if, as Julian mentions, it has the correct main components.

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #19 - Apr 09, 2009 - 09:48

I disagree, there are too many vehicles that are restored to better than new condition and then they just as well be put in a museum and never driven. I have an October 1948 vehicle which although is a valuable vehicle it has not been restored and can regularly be seen towing my 12ft trailer fully loaded with either logs or hard core etc. I use it as it was made to be used and for me I think more should be used that way. As long as the owner knows what they have and don't make any drastic alterations from original, it can be restored at any time, if an owner gets alot of use and pleasure from the vehicle then why not.
As for values with mid pre 1500's vehicles coming on the market in totally wrecked/full restoration projects status around the 5-6000 mark (see http://www.churchill-landrover.com/Petrol.htm, which have no engine or the wrong engine then maybe this one is worth the 10000 price if, as Julian mentions, it has the correct main components.

I agree with everything you say Wayne. I just wanted to differentiate between 'hard work' and 'abuse'.  ;D  There's not much polishing of Land Rovers at my house!......

Maltese LR

Reply #20 - Apr 09, 2009 - 13:21
Although not very well known Turkey has a history of post war car making.  The industry never went over its borders and has deminished steadily since the 90's.  Turkey was also into car assembly and companies like Otokar did sorth of CKD vehicles and similar coachwork.  This early 80 could have been something of a pilot project on these lines when I look at the galvanising, skirting, windscreen and tilt work all show good workmenship. Is this a kind of Turkish Minerva?

As for the use and abuse argument, I believe enough pre 1500 exist today to afford all kindes of attitudes.  The value will keep on balooning because these have becone a myth on their own - a sorth of the affordable pre-pro if you get what I mean.  Latest trend is the clean-only restoration and this is a welcome.

4ndy75

Reply #21 - Apr 12, 2009 - 18:59
An interesting vehicle, does anyone on the forum know if it has sold??

• Non-Member
Reply #22 - Apr 12, 2009 - 19:01
I was wondering that. I believe the chassis number is L860448.

4ndy75

Reply #23 - Apr 12, 2009 - 19:08
How did you come by the chassis number?

• Non-Member
Reply #24 - Apr 12, 2009 - 19:24
I asked the bloke who started the thread. He said he was given this number, L860448. I was able to confirm its dispatch details: In 20/10/1948 and Out 19/11/1948 to Matas Trading of Istanbul, Turkey.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal