Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: 1954 Trans-Africa Team - photo  (Read 2060 times)

October 28, 2010 - 12:53
Read 2060 times

Offline 1949 KC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Just thought i would post this link, i haven't seen the picture before, found it while searching the web for articles on the 1954 Trans-Africa expedition.

I didn't post the picture (copyright), here's the link.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/3259249

October 28, 2010 - 16:25
Reply #1

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Not seen that particular picture before but I think that is Colonel LeBlanc and his team. The col. was a freelance salesman for Land Rover demonstrating and selling the vehicles in Africa. I think the deal he struck was no salary or expenses, but 1% of all African sales.
5 Door pre-pro on the road for the 170th?

October 28, 2010 - 18:11
Reply #2

Offline Catweazle

• Non-Member
What a great picture,that hard top with side windows on the first vehicle must of looked strange never seen anything like it.Isnt The copywrite only while the photographer is alive or 50 yrs which ever comes first.

February 26, 2011 - 22:38
Reply #3

Offline steverkerss

• LRSOC Member
I have just seen your photo of the Trans-Africa Land Rover team. My understanding is that this was an Oxford and Cambridge University expedition originally inspired by Adrian Cowell from Cambridge University. I have a brochure produced by the The Oxford and Cambridge South America Land Rover Expedition in 1957-58 in which it says "in 1951 Cowell bet a friend in a Hong Kong night club that a light blue car would cover a circuit of Africa faster than a light blue one. The bet was taken and the result became known as the Oxford and Cambridge Trans-Africa Expedition 1954, the first trans -continental boat race on wheels. Adrian was unable to take part in it but went on to help plan the First Overland Far Eastern Expedition in 1955-56."

I cannot find anything else about the expedition and would welcome any further info you have and whether you think we are talking about the same expedition.

steve

February 27, 2011 - 18:47
Reply #4

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
They look  a bit old for university graduates.
5 Door pre-pro on the road for the 170th?