Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Greetings from West Sussex  (Read 785 times)

October 05, 2020 - 16:59
Read 785 times

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Hello all

Just joined the club and my first post here so thought I'd say hello and prepare you all for the many questions ahead...
I have just purchased my first ever series one Land Rover.  :smiley:

I'm no stranger to Land Rover products, First car was an 88" series III, fully restored a IIA station wagon, owned a Range Rover LSE, two P38's and worked on many others but, have to confess, I've not so much as lifted a bonnet on a series one until last Saturday.

I found fairly local to me, through a series II owner, a 1955 86" station wagon with what appears to be the original 2 litre petrol engine and gearbox. It is fairly complete and isn't heavily modified as far as I can see. I'm not 100% sure if it left the factory as a station wagon though so any pointers on that would be good.

I have found the original chassis number stamped in the rear left spring hanger and that does match the V5 which is rather nice.

It is going to be wrapped up in the barn for a while as I'm in the middle of a series III rebuild for a friend but it won't be forgotten. Plans are a full strip and restoration as the chassis is great in places, horrendous in others so that will take some serious repairs and the bulkhead is possibly beyond help but I'll decide on that once stripped and off the vehicle.
It has had numerous coats of paint over the years but there is a hint of light grey under the front panels? As good as some Land Rovers look in their original finish I think this one will have to be stripped and resprayed to look anywhere near presentable.

Anyway, Below are some pictures. Hope to be asking the first of many questions about the restoration very soon.  ;D 

Craig.
1 Thank you.

October 05, 2020 - 18:17
Reply #1

Offline Jules

• LRSOC Member
Welcome to the club. Thanks for posting pictures, it looks a nice unmolested vehicle. I agree that the engine looks original. Bulkhead does look a bit beyond repair, some good companies have a reasonably long lead on time so you might want to consider ordering one so that you are not held up by waiting for one. Do a search on here and the trusted companies and individuals will appear.
Good luck.
Jules

October 05, 2020 - 19:38
Reply #2

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Hello and welcome to the club.Looking at your pictures I would say the patina is very nice indeed, with a little care it would come up lovely but it dependes on what you want the vehicle to look like.As has been disgussed in previous threads on restroration/preservation, JUE for example, dont throw anything away, with a lot of hard work (elbow grease) it would look fabulous.
Good luck.Regards Kevin

October 05, 2020 - 19:56
Reply #3

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
Hi and welcome to LRSOC.

One point to look for is if the rear tub has been drilled for tailgate chains, genuine station wagons usually havenít been drilled.
As far as paint colour is concerned, under the hand brake lever plate or blanking plate is usually a good place to find the original paint.

Good luck with the project. I regret selling my station wagon a few years ago and will enjoy following your progress.

Andrew
Area Rep Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol

October 05, 2020 - 20:39
Reply #4

Offline Trubster

• LRSOC Member
Hi. Welcome to the club and liking the look of your new acquisition. I had an 86 SW for some years, which I regrettably sold (it was the right thing to do at the time) while I was living in West Sussex....but I have now crossed the border into East Sussex.

I not an expert on station wagons ( or anything for that matter) and no doubt someone will come along with superior knowledge, but going from memory from the duration of ownership of a SW, some pointers on possible differences between factory fit station wagons and conversions for your consideration. Top of windscreen might not have had the external 'sharks' teeth for the tilt, nor the fold away supports on the inside (at the top) for when the screen is folded down as these would be superfluous with the hard top. Door stays were fitted to the front doors (however this was probably an option for other variants I expect). As mentioned about holes for tailboard chains, also look for signs of the holes in the wheel boxes for fitting of rear seats (assuming the seats are not present already in the back - difficult to tell from the pictures). Also, with rear seats fitted, there is no space for an inside mounted spare wheel, so no bracketry was provided in the rear tub.

If ever you find yourself crossing over into East Sussex, always happy to talk Land Rovers over a cuppa.

October 06, 2020 - 11:22
Reply #5

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Many thanks all for the welcome and the information.

I joined the club yesterday and paid the money at 11.43am and received my membership pack and my first issue of Legend magazine in the post this morning! That is very efficient service from the club.  :anbet1:

A few more details on the 86". It does have the folding supports at the top of the screen, I was wondering what they were to be honest.
Looking in corners of the rear tub under the seat brackets I can see original gloss dark green paint. I haven't looked for tailgate chain holes yet and don't have a photo of the door frames.
There are no front door stays. Well, no door stays that run in tubes bolted under the dash. There are remains or canvas straps riveted on both the doors.
I do have a spare wheel still mounted inside the vehicle.
There are no individual sideways facing rear seats but I do have two bench seats in there. These have galvanised frames and look a lot more solid than the Britpart seats available in the last few years.

When I get more time I will head over to where she is stored at the minute and have a deeper dig for colours. Under the handbrake as suggested, under the dealer plate and behind the gauges I'm thinking. Whoever pained it green in the past did a very thorough job and painted everything inside and out but I bet they missed a bit somewhere!!
I have found traces of light grey (Dove grey?) on the front wings, bonnet, station wagon side panels and the main roof panel but no grey traces on the rear tub or doors. Off course these could have been changed in the past I guess. The chassis has lots of red oxide primer under black paint so it could well have been apart sometime previously.

Think I'm going to need to find a straight hand brake lever too as this one looks like a IIA or III item.

Craig.
1 Thank you.

October 06, 2020 - 12:08
Reply #6

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
What a great website this is...  ;D

I was looking around the members section and found the pages to all the old club mags then found a page to search the old club mags. Typed in XFM 518 and up pops two matches!
She is already known to the club in former lives... I paid more than £950 for her too!!

Craig.

October 06, 2020 - 13:00
Reply #7

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
You can check with Gaydon to find where she was despatched out to. She started out in the registration area of Chester (I think the original registers probably survive which might give you the original owner). Then you have her for sale in Gwent and then belonging to Ms Linda Grange in Finchamstead. You know where you got it from so only a few more gaps to fill....

October 06, 2020 - 13:19
Reply #8

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Thanks Tom

The name on the V5 I have is Miss Linda Grange in Finchampstead, The chap I bought it from apparently got it from her as part of a deal to clear this and other Land Rovers after a partner passed away? He never registered it again under his name so the previous owner to me is Linda Grange.
The previous owner to that on the V5 is in Monmouth so that fits in well too although the address and post code are slightly different to the ad, maybe the ad was a work address rather than a home address or something.

Amazing what you can find out in a short search.

I will be getting a heritage certificate when I can but suspect a family member will suggest that as a suitable Christmas present...

Craig.

October 06, 2020 - 23:47
Reply #9

Offline amccausl

• LRSOC Member
  • 1957 Station Wagon
I saw this in a yard near Finchampstead a while ago, glad itís gone to a good home. Good luck!
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

October 07, 2020 - 22:13
Reply #10

Offline Lode Laner

• LRSOC Member
  • Lets go for a trundle
The cleats on the back body sides would not be fitted on a station wagon and indicate a canvas tilt was fitted.

Plan ahead regarding sourcing parts for S1 compared to other Series vehicles you are more accustomed to working with.

Is the vehicle photographed at Gumtree?

October 08, 2020 - 08:49
Reply #11

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
My 1955 86"station wagon has the cleats , and all I have seen have them.  The bodies were standard off the line complete with cleats

October 08, 2020 - 13:15
Reply #12

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Interesting it was supplied by Dee Motor Company in Chester.

I knew if a 1950 80 which was supplied to the Grafton Hall Estate by them. Whilst I was at school it was sat up in the old coach house on the estate, non working with a siezed engine, and was taken by one of the tractor drivers for conversion into a trialer (cant remember the reg).
So they must have been landrover dealers for several years back in the 50's.
62-65 Boughton is close to my parents house in Chester but was never a garage in my memory.
Its at the junction of Boughton and Leadworks Lane and now appears to be a golf shop from google streetview.

Simon

October 09, 2020 - 15:19
Reply #13

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Thanks again for the replies, another quick update...

I do have vents in the roof, two of them at the front only.
There is windscreen support brackets on the screen frame.
I can't see any evidence of tailgate chains but then I also can't find any evidence of individual sideways mounted seats.

Seems to be half a station wagon to me.....?

The photos were taken in the yard of Safari Engineering in Hampshire.

I'll be popping it into storage this weekend, keeping it dry until such time I can get to her and start pulling her apart. I'll spend the time between now and then getting some more history together and deciding which way to go with the chassis, bulkhead, paintwork etc.

Craig.
1 Thank you.

October 09, 2020 - 19:10
Reply #14

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
Two vent roofs are very early and often go with Perspex alpine windows.
Four vents and glass alpine lights are later type.
Area Rep Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol

October 10, 2020 - 07:20
Reply #15

Offline GunnarTM

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
    • Verein Landschaftsschutz Platzenberg
I paid more than £950 for her too!!
£950 in 1988 is £2,500 in today's money.
'53 Series I 80" 36102446 HGUE53H 409YUE YJH780F 44AA91

October 10, 2020 - 08:10
Reply #16

Online joetwist

• LRSOC Member
Lower part of rear door appears to be a drivers door, rather than SW door. Perhaps original was damaged at some point, I know my rear door had taken quite a hit at some point, even the roof panel over the door had a kink in it. Also looks like the glass in the rear door may have been replaced with perspex. The roof lights look to be too clear to be perspex, if they are the later glass ones be careful with them, impossible to find replacements.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using LRSOC mobile app

October 14, 2020 - 13:38
Reply #17

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Thanks again all for the information, all useful stuff to help plot the history of the vehicle.

The roof panel does have glass alpine windows. Both are intact at the minute and I will do my best to keep them that way. I fitted alpine windows into my IIA station wagon after paint and they were hard work to get into the seals...

Never occurred to me that the rear door could be replaced with a drivers door, always assumed they would be a different size. The rear door seems to have a door stay bracket on it so maybe that is the better door to use on the drivers side when I rebuild her. The window of the rear door is indeed perspex. I will look into getting some toughened glass cut when the time comes to replace it with, finding a genuine glass will be difficult I assume.

I really want to get on with the strip down now but have to finish this one off first. Bodywork went on over the last few days but still a long way to go!

Craig.
1 Thank you.

October 14, 2020 - 13:44
Reply #18

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
One more thing, I realised today that this vehicle is 266 vehicles after the Oxford SNX 891 vehicle was built (Assuming the chassis numbers were simply sequential?)

Is there a good website showing photos of the rebuild of Oxford? It might be nice to compare some of the photos of that vehicle to mine as I assume they should be very similar if mine is indeed a proper station wagon?

Craig.

October 14, 2020 - 15:19
Reply #19

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC

Never occurred to me that the rear door could be replaced with a drivers door, always assumed they would be a different size. The rear door seems to have a door stay bracket on it so maybe that is the better door to use on the drivers side when I rebuild her.
Craig.
The rear door and drivers door although the same size are different . The top hinge is similar to but not the same as a Front LH door hinge and consequently one hole is in a different place. I found out the hard way when I  ditched the damaged  rear door on my SW before checking . A 107 SW uses two RH  front door hinges
Picture of correct hinge with drivers door