Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Jue 477 unveiled....  (Read 7169 times)

September 15, 2020 - 21:16
Reply #60

Offline ian

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Love the “barn find” photo in the book,
Just how we’d all like to find them.

Fascinating story, and a great read,
Well done. 👍🏻😁
1 Thank you.

September 16, 2020 - 04:15
Reply #61

Offline gertie Moderator

I must say i am extremely disappointed with members reactions and interest in this vehicle.

The world and his wife were all over this at Hampton court yet the majority of club members seem unimpressed by this.

As a matter of interest Tom have you changed your opinion about it being restored now you have seen it?

By the way you did an excellent job on R23 considering the state it was in when found and just a few miles down the road from me.
5 Thanks.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

September 16, 2020 - 05:55
Reply #62

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
hi gerti yes my 2 copies one signed i cant put it down  a fantastic work ethic on the guards         at least we are not looking at chinese repro parts and indian parts  only the best of british well done again jim pearl when is it coming to oz for the75 th well done again as i said this is the way to go for the younger  generation  who are on a tight budget and to learn from the book
3 Thanks.
Jim Pearl : Many Series One parts For Sale

September 16, 2020 - 09:13
Reply #63

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
I must say i am extremely disappointed with members reactions and interest in this vehicle.
The world and his wife were all over this at Hampton court yet the majority of club members seem unimpressed by this.
There has always been a scattering of opinion about anyone's efforts within this club. This is nothing new. The 'Thunderbox trophy' awarded to rebuilds by club members- the "tongue in cheek  pat on the back "  for Ones that somehow stand out for not being fully what some select group consider to be a "proper job" - is there in the club's trophy cabinet.Long ago a previous club committee arranged for itself a method to demonstrate some tolerance for work-arounds and modification while displaying a degree of polite respect for a job that was someone else's pride and investment???

In the case of JUE477 the preservation techniques employed have been remarkable. To conserve what should originally have been there is everything. We can all admire the high level of skill necessary, and the painstaking investment of time and effort needed  to arrive back at what can now be shown to us. A heap of rust and crumpled alloy it may have been. There have been so many thousands of those...unnoticed and unloved. 
9 Thanks.

September 16, 2020 - 09:32
Reply #64

Offline colin fox

Hear, hear to 'Gertie's' opinion. Maybe it should have been preserved as a corroding heap, in which case a period (?) bucket and brush would have been required to periodically sweep up the products of corrosion, said bucket and contents to be displayed with the vehicle as part of its history (contents of the bucket of course filtered to remove airborne dust lest that be seen as a modification?).  :tic:
5 Thanks.
Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

September 16, 2020 - 11:30
Reply #65

Offline 715GC Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member

As a matter of interest Tom have you changed your opinion about it being restored now you have seen it?

By the way you did an excellent job on R23 considering the state it was in when found and just a few miles down the road from me.

Rich, Thanks for your comments on R23, and if there was enough to preserve then maybe I would, we have preserved R860053 and we are doing the minimum on another 1948 we have around 860600.

None of these are the 1st, I can’t explain how privileged I was to see 860001 in its original fascinating state at Shugborough in 1998; over the weekend we went back to look at details, left then went back again. It was brilliant. Remember this was pre digital age so fewer pictures were taken then, but so many of us looked over it. And many of us are still involved with these early cars now.

I was with my dad that weekend and our friend Michael Bishop was over from Australia, by this time Michael and I had restored 860997 in Australia and I had done my 86” PAC925, Mike had is 1950 model, and my father had many series 1s including L29 and 860053, he also worked in the motor trade on Land rovers. So we had a good idea of what could be achieved.

To restore anything, there should be a certain amount there, now JUE477 was well picked over by the time it came to Shugborough, no dash, no doors, no tail gate, no bonnet, LHR wing missing on rear body, no grill, no jewellery, maybe 1 or 2 rotten 48 rims, air cleaner, 2 spoke steering wheel, engine replaced, it was the bones and the bones were rotten. But details were there and a story of how the 1st production land rover had been worked to death, yes it had survived, and it told a story of the evolution to that point.

Do I agree with what’s happened to it, I don’t think I need to answer that? It now on the road, well some on it, it now has a new bulkhead, and rear axle case has been changed, not sure about the half shafts. So you could say it’s less original than it was at Shugborough. Skills have been used to make replacement parts look old etc

I can see why it happened, it’s come down to money, sold to the highest bidder, and “yes it can be restored!”

We are lucky that it does have working clothing, and yes it been well documented in a book, which again I have enjoyed reading and well done to those who documented this resurrection.

I believe the if 35% of what rolled off the line the Summer of 1948 survived to come to Shugborough, so less of that % is now on the road.

This is a divisive subject, and I don’t want to fall out with anyone, I have known many for years, so please don’t take what I say to personally, this is a series 1 enthusiast’s forum, and maybe the person who owns JUE477 may not see this. The team that worked on the project, I guess they were paid, so that’s great, and we all get on with the job in hand.

4 Thanks.
NEED A HOOD OR SEATS FOR YOUR SERIES ONE, Go to http://wwspares.co.uk/
Current home of L29, Pollyanna, JAC and LAC, Ozzie trayback
Check us out on facebook here www.facebook.com/undercovercovertompickford/?pnref=story

September 16, 2020 - 13:14
Reply #66

Online monstercake

• LRSOC Member
Julian and his team have done a spectacular job getting NO 1 roadworthy considering what they had to work with. But out of curiosity Tom is there any pics of the remains of r23 before you made a great job restoring it? For those who like the brand new look
6 Thanks.

September 16, 2020 - 18:05
Reply #67

Offline witch finder general

• LRSOC Member
if you look at the full grille news letter on the forum number 57 Dec 1988 there is Ramsden's Ramblings with a large piece about R23 with pictures further down the news letter hope this helps

3 Thanks.

September 16, 2020 - 20:22
Reply #68

Online monstercake

• LRSOC Member
Thank you witch finder general.  Just read what was left of  R23. Is this a joke?
2 Thanks.

September 16, 2020 - 22:43
Reply #69

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
hi tom i like your comment on well picked over    bones    we know all about that here    we now have in oz restorations going on with cheap chinese parts      i think the people who took the 65 percent missing  parts should   offer them back and then it would be a 100 percent  have a good day jim
3 Thanks.
Jim Pearl : Many Series One parts For Sale

September 17, 2020 - 18:08
Reply #70

Offline witch finder general

• LRSOC Member
Jue 477 (860001) shugborough 1998  well at least it a bonnet then...
5 Thanks.

September 17, 2020 - 23:45
Reply #71

Online monstercake

• LRSOC Member
No 1 had to be made roadworthy again it’s a very special Land Rover and a lot left to work with BUT in the case of r23 only a rotten chassis and possibly a couple axles and wings and not to mention ‘‘no jewellery” the contradiction is mind blowing
1 Thank you.

September 18, 2020 - 07:58
Reply #72

Offline Adam Bennett

• Non-Member
No 1 had to be made roadworthy again it’s a very special Land Rover and a lot left to work with BUT in the case of r23 only a rotten chassis and possibly a couple axles and wings and not to mention ‘‘no jewellery” the contradiction is mind blowing

R23 was nothing and 1 of many but JUE was something special and the only one, now she is one of many and nothing special.
The skill of the rebuild on both cars is amazing and the finished cars look grate and is a tribute to all involved.
 This is my opinion for what it is worth and no matter what anyone say or how they try to bully me its what I think sorry if you don't like it.

September 18, 2020 - 08:11
Reply #73

Offline james diehl

• LRSOC Member
Would you have kept it as is if you were the owner Adam?
1 Thank you.

September 18, 2020 - 08:24
Reply #74

Offline MilesDB

• LRSOC Member

Yes.
I have a collection of very interesting un restored cars and all I have done is to store them undercover.
I also own a prepro Land Rover that is chassis number 1 (of its type APGP) it look grate and as soon as I can bring it out to some shows I will.

September 18, 2020 - 08:40
Reply #75

Offline ian

I appreciate what’s been said in the last few posts, but I can’t see what the point is of keeping it in a delapidate state,
Only for a people to pick over?

If this was the way with classic vehicles there would be thousands of rusting chassis and body’s just sat idle in our garages, what’s the point in that?🤔

Jue477 is now alive and kicking again, and gets to go places and the public get to see it, and the book is a great addition with fantastic photos of the painstaking work that’s gone into the build.

All of my Land Rovers are a mixture of new and old sometimes wrong parts!
When I restored my 49  I replaced a good 70% of it, but who knows that other than me?

Who cares? Just enjoy them.👍🏻
1 Thank you.

September 18, 2020 - 08:48
Reply #76

Offline Adam Bennett

• Non-Member

Hello James
No, I think it needed a proper display trailer or truck building round it to display it better but yes as found.
What about you ?

September 18, 2020 - 09:04
Reply #77

Offline MattPurdon

• LRSOC Member
R23 was nothing and 1 of many but JUE was something special and the only one, now she is one of many and nothing special.

Interesting approach there Adam - what was the thought process behind the restoration of Oxford's roof? Should that not have become a museum piece rather than an international ego trip?
4 Thanks.
1952 80" 16v

September 18, 2020 - 09:14
Reply #78

Online monstercake

• LRSOC Member
Hi Adam
You quote my post and mention bullying I was not out to bully anyone I was referring to the hypocrisy and blatant contradiction of a reply. If you would have left jue as is,  then what would you have done with r23? ( have you read the original article) If you have the same answer then my point was made.

September 18, 2020 - 09:15
Reply #79

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• Non-Member
One thing for sure... it caused quite a stir ;D
1954 Minerva Ex Rijkswacht.
1952 Series 1 LHD
2005 Freelander 1