Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Battery for series one 1951  (Read 473 times)

June 30, 2020 - 12:45
Read 473 times

Offline 9599

• LRSOC Member
  • SPU 965
    • Transglobal Logistics UK
My Land Rover is taxed, insured and MOT'd but not driven for a while as busy at work alas-so tried to start the other day...new Halfords 68ah battery fitted 6 months ago placed on trickle charge did not get the starter to turn so disengaged motor & used the starting handle - freed all now but did not start. Checked all connections, fuses, electrics, distributor, everything with mechanic then decided that battery not strong enough! However the 11.5" x 7.5" tray can only accept a small battery (max 75ah apparently) yet all suggest 100ah best. What do we think please?
Andrew Clark SPU 965

June 30, 2020 - 13:09
Reply #1

Offline jonhutchings

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
    • Notes from a small shed
they shouldn't need much to start, they are not very high compression. For a while I ran mine with a tiny battery from a 1.2 panda. I manage to (just) fit a fairly decent size Varta (069 from memory) battery in mine though just to be sure not having problems in winter when running lights wipers at the same time etc.

It's worth checking and re check the connections to the starter, earth cables etc. You also implied that it was not turning over freely? Clearly if it's got partly sized then a smaller battery probably won't help. Hindsight is great, but I'd always try to turn an engine by hand first if it's not been run for a few months or so, just in case. Any sign of sticking I'd be tempted to pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the bores before then spinning over without the plugs in to give it helping hand, before then tying to start.  Piston rings which have stuck in the grooves due to standing have a tendency to break if you are not careful.

Halfords are pretty good at replacing batteries under warranty (usually 3 years) , though if it's not been used regularly then they may not ?
Area rep for Herefordshire and Worcestershire

1953 80"  T&T and in use
1958 88" Diesel - back together and smokin'
1950 80 in bits (very long term rebuild)

June 30, 2020 - 13:25
Reply #2

Offline Bjornung

Just a comment, it is not the Ah spec that is important for how much start amp the battery can deliver at a sufficent voltage. A 50Ah battery  may be better than a 100Ah for  cold starting for instance, all depending on other properties.

But for repeated starting attempts, to avoid draining the battery, a high Ah figure is usually better.

Bjørnung

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals

86" 1955
Daily car - Discovery 4 SDV6 2015
Previous owned LR: Discovery II V8, 110, RRC 1978 (my daily car for 30 years)
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA (monitoring BM 242 and YSF 44919)  and have photography in general as a small hobby.

June 30, 2020 - 15:29
Reply #3

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member

Your battery may or may not be faulty but any modern battery should spin a Series engine like a top in reasonable temperatures. Something else is wrong - stiff engine, faulty starter, high resistance cables, switch or earth connections!

The 418G starter has a current drain of 450 amps when locked solid - Realistically half of  that when turning an engine over. A bit more than half in sub zero conditions etc.

The same battery that fits the 80" was fitted to Jags up to 3.8L and many others.(Actually the Jag battery has reversed terminals but is the same size and construction).

Nick.

June 30, 2020 - 16:48
Reply #4

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Looking at your photo I can see the distributor is an unusual way around. The leads are in the correct sequence  so that cannot be an issue. But either the oil pump and the distributor drive is mistakenly engaged with the cam shaft, or it may be that the spark is delivered to the wrong plug  because the angle is wrong. These engines can even fire with timing way out, But is would be worth checking exactly that TDC on No 1 piston corresponds with the flywheel mark,  and then from that making sure the correct FA mark is being used to open the points.

The position of the distributor body need not be exactly right , for it to work provided the remaining setting that open the points is correct. for any housing position error would only be caused due to wrong  orientation of the  drive shaft with the camshaft gear .

June 30, 2020 - 17:32
Reply #5

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member

I had a Halfords HB334 which is 303mm (about a cm longer) than 11 1/2". If that (or various alternatives of the same size) will fit yours it gives a 700A+ starting rating.

Nick

June 30, 2020 - 18:39
Reply #6

Offline Somerset80

Ive used these Varta batteries in my Land Rovers for a while now and never had any issues with them - sourced from local tyre shop, they were cheaper than Halfords.
Simon

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

June 30, 2020 - 20:04
Reply #7

Offline krh59

• LRSOC Member
I have always used Tanya batteries for both my modern and classic motors.
Good choice of brands, prices competitive and fast delivery.
They also do a range of old style classic batteries for the purist if you want to pay a bit more.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/

Sent from my motorola one using LRSOC mobile app

June 30, 2020 - 20:29
Reply #8

Offline gertie Moderator

I also use Tayna and have the same battery on my 80” and Freelander 2 diesel it is an Exide 096 as both are negative earth an 069 has the terminals reversed.
Delivery from them has always been next day even during lockdown.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

June 30, 2020 - 21:02
Reply #9

Offline 34058

Varta batteries are very good.  They were the battery of choice on the farm tractors where I used to work.

I use a Halfords 069, which is more than powerful enough for a Series One.  Even if its on it's last legs at least the engine can be started with the crank handle.

David
What do you mean "I don't have a parts book"?  Come now, it costs less that half the price of a tank of petrol.

July 01, 2020 - 00:41
Reply #10

Offline aust 48 49 50 56

• LRSOC Member
Be cautious putting a high capacity battery in vehicle with the M418G starter motors, fitted with the rubber drive sleeve, as these sleeves are the weak point, just think of what was the capacity of the original lead top and pitch battery.

July 01, 2020 - 07:49
Reply #11

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
I have used Tayna batteries for quite a long time now in all our vehicles plus the leisure battery in our camper.  Competetive pricing and swift delivery.
50+ years ago when I had my first 80" I had no money and the battery was the cast off from my dad's mini (that shows the state).  First thing in the morning was always a handle job but set up properly it would go with just a dsharp upward swing, the rest of tmohe day the knackered battery was enough to start it on the starter motor.
As above I think you need to be looking further than your battery, you could always get the battery tested.
Peter

July 01, 2020 - 09:02
Reply #12

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Another vote for Tanya batteries, my defender, campervan and series 1 battery came from there.
Highly recommended.
Regards Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930F using LRSOC mobile app

July 01, 2020 - 09:49
Reply #13

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Usual reason on mine over the last 30 years for not starting has been bad battery or starter switch connections,  Especially if left unused for a while. The original battery was only about 50 Amp hr.  so virtually any modern battery  will crank it over as  generally they have high cranking current capability . Another vote for Tayna as well