Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Searching for a Siamese bore flywheel  (Read 570 times)

May 20, 2020 - 08:54
Read 570 times

Offline Vlandy

• LRSOC Member
Hi All

Iím searching for a Siamese bore flywheel! If anybody have one in good shape for sale send me a message! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

May 20, 2020 - 11:49
Reply #1

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• Non-Member
If it's just the ring gear that's ruined,
Try Cox and Turner. They can replace it.
If the early type with fixed gear. It will need machining.
Regards Eddy

1954 Minerva Ex Rijkswacht.
1952 Series 1 Lhd

May 20, 2020 - 17:42
Reply #2

Offline Vlandy

• LRSOC Member
If it's just the ring gear that's ruined,
Try Cox and Turner. They can replace it.
If the early type with fixed gear. It will need machining.
Regards Eddy
Thanks but need replacement!

May 23, 2020 - 11:43
Reply #3

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
 Try the Wanted section, at the bottom of the Forum.
1955 S1 hardtop, A reg finished at last after 9 yrs,
  Also 110 defender Tdci, BMW Z3

May 23, 2020 - 12:58
Reply #4

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Good afternoon vlandy,
Could you please post a photo of the type of flywheel that you want, as I have a couple of s1 lurking under the bench in one of the garages, but have not a clue as to their differences.
Awaiting your photos, as I am still observing lockdown have plenty of time.
Regards
Tonyg
Ps if someone else has a photo much appreciated

May 23, 2020 - 13:46
Reply #5

Offline Vlandy

• LRSOC Member
I will try to send you some photos later today!

May 23, 2020 - 17:25
Reply #6

Offline Vlandy

• LRSOC Member
Hi Tonyh
Please see below my old flywheel! Iím rebuilding the engine and realized that flywheel was machined to put a new ring and the marks were gone! I suspect it was an home made ring that it was fitted! If you have one to sell with fair price I will buy it! Thanks

May 23, 2020 - 17:44
Reply #7

Offline fifty seven

• Home-from-Home Rally Attendee
If you look in  the workshop manual an exact description for the position of the timing marks is given. I suspect after clamping a good dial test indicator to the block it could be made  to show the No 1 piston TDC position. It would then be possible using data in the manual to count flywheel  teeth back to the FP position and the FA angles ?

For a 2nd example the manual shows that on a spreadbore engine, when No 1 exhaust valve is fully open this is 114 degrees ( 31 flywheel teeth before TDC ) Knowing this the  FA 10degree mark could be re-engraved level with the pointer .  This would be exactly 2 1/2 flywheel teeth before the piston TDC.

There will be data for the siamese bore engines in the earlier workshop manual ,Where the  FA ?  8 ? & 15 degree  marks ( I forget) for them differ.

Just an idea.

May 24, 2020 - 09:06
Reply #8

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Morning vlandy,
I will have a look Monday am and advise status,
Also may be able to assist you to follow 57 advice, with photos etc, if I can find the same flywheel as yours
Regards
Tonyg

May 24, 2020 - 10:18
Reply #9

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Can you determine the flywheel origin by noting which side of the teeth the wear pattern is ?  I seem to remember adopting g this theory when u was searching for one to recondition....

A siamese engine with a bullet type starter has the wear on the engine side. Does a later spreadbore engine starter have the wear pattern on the clutch side of the flywheel ? 
Check Twice & Cut Once.......

May 26, 2020 - 21:53
Reply #10

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Evening vlandy,
I have found qty 2 flywheels that are the same as yours, ie starter wear on the same side.
But 1 flywheel is completely duff, the starter ring is worn out in 2 places, and the other I wish to keep as a spare for myself...
However, as your starter ring looks in good condition, I can post images and measurements that will allow you to mark tdc, 8,15 and ep yourself on your flywheel.
The method mentioned above by 57 may not work because on my 2 flywheels the teeth are in different positions  with ref tdc, hence my suggestion of measurements.
Once the flywheel is on the engine, with pistons in etc, any small discrepancy of using my proposed measurement way can be adjusted by actual tdc of no1 piston.
Please advise if you want to go down this route, it will only take approx 10 mins to mark tdc etc

Regards
Tonyg

May 27, 2020 - 10:22
Reply #11

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member

If you have any concerns with flywheel markings you could consider using a degree disc.

Find true TDC with a DTI and from there you can mark off all of the timing and valve markings with confidence.

May 27, 2020 - 22:15
Reply #12

Offline Vlandy

• LRSOC Member
Thank you all for your contributions! I will try to use a flywheel from 1954 Siamese bore flywheel from a friend of mine to mark mine.