Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Series 1 Belgium  (Read 525 times)

April 24, 2020 - 14:59
Read 525 times

Offline GG

• Non-Member
Hey All,

I'm new at this forum and i like to introduce myself.
As a landrover enthousiast i've always driven a defender 130, but i had the chance to buy a series 1 so i couldn't resist.
I attached some pictures of the series and i hope someone could tell me more about the series as i want to restore it to it's former glory. So if anyone could help me on this topic i would really appriciate it!

Kind regards
Gert
1 Thank you.

April 24, 2020 - 18:02
Reply #1

Offline Defender9

• LRSOC Member
Is that an early Minerva before they changed the shape of the wings?

April 26, 2020 - 21:58
Reply #2

Offline calamityjane

• LRSOC Member
Hi Gert,
Difficult to give you informations about your vehicle.In my opinion, this is a Minerva (Rover licence) but the car has been very much modified.As writes Defender9, the shape of the wings has been changed.The doors have also been altered, I think, no external handles on these cars.
More of this, the dashboard is not original.The engine is, I suppose, a diesel one. The diesel engine was introduced by Rover in 1957.The headlights are original as fitted to the belgian army vehicles.If you want to get this car as it has been built, there are lots of things to do.First thing, in my opinion, try to get documentation about the 80" Land Rovers and Minervas.Kind regards.
C.J.

May 25, 2020 - 14:18
Reply #3

Offline Capt. Bill

• LRSOC Member
  • The Anchor for my hot air balloon
On Page 100 of James Taylors book he references that the Belgium Army stockpiled Minerva's and did not actually use them for many years.  I have s Series IIA from the Belgium Army that I bought a couple of years ago and it had 7500 miles on the clock.  I have gone all over this vehicle and it definitely did not have 107,500 miles on it and I wondered if the Belgium Army did the same thing, (stockpiling) later editions of the Land Rover.

The mileage was really quite unbelievable until I read that passage in Taylors book, and I wondered if anyone had thoughts on the low miles.

173602738 Series One
1968 SIIA 109 Military
1966 TR-4A
1966 Piper Cherokee
2000 Firefly 90 Hot Air Balloon

May 25, 2020 - 15:04
Reply #4

Offline fifty seven

• Home-from-Home Rally Attendee
I wondered if anyone had thoughts on the low miles.
I think you will find that all NATO countries operated much the same proceedure. A reserve army could be summoned in event of potential conflict. A large "reserve" of vehicles and equipment was kept"mothballed"  in regional stores so the increased force  could mobilise effectively.  While it is also true that some vehicles after a short period of service might be restored to "as new" state by divisional workshops, and might even have had their odometers replaced, the record for each individual vehicle , and the maintenance it received while in service is most unlikely to have survived.

Even today it is possible to purchase low mileage trucks, recovery vehicles and plant machinery , former reserves stock, which has almost never been used. Some years ago Our Local Garage bought a 20 years old Foden 6x6 recovery truck ex MOD. It had just 800 Km on the clock. All the recovery( equipment schedule) cables and snatch blocks etc  that were intended to be issued with it were there, stowed  just as originally - packed correctly in the various lockers. Most of the hugely expensive certified stuff  had never been touched and was still in conservation wrapping. It was a considerable bargain, which in the very first week  repaid the small investment this garage made. (We have single track roads here which some drivers of HGV's and buses seem to have difficulty in keeping all their wheels on.)   It continues to reap dividends for the garage  every single month. For any truckie.. Its a nice "toy" which regularly wins Highland regional "truckfest" prizes too !

1 Thank you.

May 26, 2020 - 17:22
Reply #5

Offline Johan

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Your chassis number makes it a civilian deep bronze green Series One.
However, many Minerva parts are on it and wings from a Gendarmerie Land Rover have been used.

May 26, 2020 - 17:25
Reply #6

Offline Johan

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Is was originally exported to Belgium.
Is the rear tub aluminum or steel?
Does the chassis have a PTO hole in the rear crossmember?
If not I think it is a minerva with Land Rover paperwork.
Minerva chassis are always CKD 2663 or 3663