Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Video update about the Grenadier  (Read 2239 times)

March 12, 2020 - 17:40
Read 2239 times

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
    • The Teeafit's website
Not properly Series 1 content, but I know that a lot of us want to know what Ineos have in store with the Grenadier.  They've posted the first of a series of teaser videos, presented by Mark Evans — this one is about the Frames and Axles, and is on Vimeo.

Very interesting that they have plenty of footage of beam-axled 4x4s running off road, and all enthusiasts can probably identify what they are... but the camera never dwells long enough on the detail for a casual viewer to see what the vehicles are.  After all, no point in giving free publicity to potentially competing manufacturers!
1 Thank you.

March 12, 2020 - 20:56
Reply #1

Offline ike

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
I assumed what is seen is a prototype Grenadier?

March 12, 2020 - 21:18
Reply #2

Offline Bedfordobkate11

• LRSOC Member
I know we like to kid ourselves that looks aren’t as important  as performance ,and that if form follows function all will be ok . I guess this vehicle is all about being suitable for purpose and I think it will be , but looking “right” will influence its success to a huge extent , so I hope it has some serious style

March 13, 2020 - 14:02
Reply #3

• LRSOC Member
    • The Teeafit's website
I assumed what is seen is a prototype Grenadier?
No... afraid not.  I guess they're a long way from that yet.

What is there is a lot of footage saying ladder frame/beam axles good, monocoque/independent suspension bad (and we wonder whose upmarket products they're aiming at there!)  In order to illustrate that, there's a lot of close-ups of axle articulation and wheels splashing through mud.  But they've had to use existing vehicles from varied manufacturers, but the shots are never quite wide enough for the majority of people to identify the make and model.

I was always amused that the very first promo videos from Jim Ratcliffe enthused about how wonderful the Defender was... but were illustrated mainly with a Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero playing in the mud!

July 01, 2020 - 09:27
Reply #4

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
2 Thanks.

July 01, 2020 - 10:23
Reply #5

Offline Bruce

• LRSOC Member
Just what JLR should have been doing.
I want one.
6 Thanks.

July 01, 2020 - 10:26
Reply #6

• LRSOC Member
    • The Teeafit's website
Am I right in remembering that JLR lost their attempt to copyright the traditional LR shape?  Either way, I'm sure that their design lawyers will be looking very closely at this footage!

But if Ineos has managed to design in more right elbow room, then I will certainly be visiting the showrooms... but keeping SXF870 to preserve my Green Oval loyalty.
1 Thank you.

July 01, 2020 - 11:32
Reply #7

Offline gertie Moderator

Well it certainly looks the part and i hope it is a great success.
3 Thanks.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

July 01, 2020 - 11:50
Reply #8

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
I have to say that looks like what JLR should have done instead of what they did do. Tip of the hat to Jim Ratcliffe for giving Britain what it wanted after the Defenders demise.Would love to have a closer look when they are being produced. New defender btw?, I saw one come past me the other day and he waved to me ???? sorry but I didn't wave back as I was wondering what the hell it was, it just looked like a jelly mould SUV.Good luck Ineos.
Regards Kevin
1 Thank you.

July 01, 2020 - 13:06
Reply #9

Offline gertie Moderator

JLR look like they are going to bring out a new 80.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

July 01, 2020 - 13:25
Reply #10

Offline Bruce

• LRSOC Member
JLR look like they are going to bring out a new 80.

Will that be the "£80K" ?   :tic:
3 Thanks.

July 01, 2020 - 13:43
Reply #11

Offline KAC 87

• KAC 87 - at least I thought I'd finished her!
This should be a link to the full video which really shows what it looks like.
The best of luck with this.
Nigel
https://ineosgrenadier.com/reveal/exterior-design
Nigel Mottershead

KAC 87 1950 80" 2 litre prototype, WYJ 911 1951 80"
The trouble is that I don't know enough to know that I don't know....

July 01, 2020 - 14:06
Reply #12

Offline linesrg

• Courtiestown Marine Limited
Note sure about the bonnet myself.........

Regards

Richard

July 01, 2020 - 14:13
Reply #13

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • Brakes sorted, what's next...
Wrong rivets, Richard?

Mark

July 01, 2020 - 18:15
Reply #14

Offline GunnarTM

• Verein Landschaftsschutz Platzenberg
Here's what I don't understand: The reasons why JLR couldn't keep the old Defender design limping along are well-documented http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=35053.msg292692#msg292692 ; 1) couldn't be equipped with airbags (thus no US or China), 2) couldn't pass EU emissions (thus no EU), and 3) design not future-proofed for hybrid nor electric (worldwide).  So to whom are Ineos targeting these things ... UK power companies, farmers, billionare toffs, and/or grumpy New Defender haters who probably can't afford *either* vehicle?  Seems like a de minimis market segment.  No volume = super-high list price, no doubt.  Still feels like another DeLorean in the making to me.
1 Thank you.
'53 Series I 80" 36102446 HGUE53H 409YUE YJH780F 44AA91
'15 Defender 90" Heritage
'13 LR2 SD4 HSE
'13 LR4 SDV6 HSE
Former owner '62 Series IIa 109"

July 01, 2020 - 20:09
Reply #15

Offline gertie Moderator

Will that be the "£80K" ?   :tic:
They have already done that with the reborn programme with little success.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

July 01, 2020 - 21:33
Reply #16

Offline KAC 87

• KAC 87 - at least I thought I'd finished her!
Here's what I don't understand: The reasons why JLR couldn't keep the old Defender design limping along are well-documented http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=35053.msg292692#msg292692 ; 1) couldn't be equipped with airbags (thus no US or China), 2) couldn't pass EU emissions (thus no EU), and 3) design not future-proofed for hybrid nor electric (worldwide).  So to whom are Ineos targeting these things ... UK power companies, farmers, billionare toffs, and/or grumpy New Defender haters who probably can't afford *either* vehicle?  Seems like a de minimis market segment.  No volume = super-high list price, no doubt.  Still feels like another DeLorean in the making to me.
They are doing and will prove that it’s possible. Price will I think be better than the new Defender and market will be all those you list and more outside UK as well. Just watch....

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
Nigel Mottershead

KAC 87 1950 80" 2 litre prototype, WYJ 911 1951 80"
The trouble is that I don't know enough to know that I don't know....

July 01, 2020 - 22:04
Reply #17

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
Trying to make out what the body panels are formed from. Some angles of the bonnet looks a bit like GRP or a plastic composition. Very interesting. 6 pot  BMW engine Where’ve we seen that before, ZF gearbox?  What I thought a good idea was keeping electrics away from chassis and suspension regions.
That electric hand brake configuration mounted on the rear hubs on the new Defender, what were they thinking of. The old transmission brake perhaps updated to a disc. Wonder what Grenadier with have? It like waiting for Crimbo!
Sell my 80” & 86 and the new Grenadier is a distinct possibility.

Vardon
1 Thank you.
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

July 01, 2020 - 22:22
Reply #18

Offline Keith Robertshaw

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86

July 02, 2020 - 07:48
Reply #19

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
The Autocar article says aluminium panels!, interesting reading. As for the shape it’s basic and fit for purpose. Our old vehicles have proved well that it works. Hope the removal of damaged panels or to remove facilitate easy access for mechanical part has been thought of. Bet it’s not going to be necessary to remove the B———Y body to fix that clutch!!
     Vardon
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4