Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: New Defender Launch  (Read 1294 times)

January 14, 2020 - 22:36
Read 1294 times

Online gcc130

• LRSOC Member
Last night I was invited to attend Landrover Bath’s launch event for the new Defender, where a fellow members original 80” was on display with several classic landrovers.
A good evening was had by all and I believe several orders were placed.
Area Rep Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol

January 14, 2020 - 22:42
Reply #1

Online gcc130

• LRSOC Member
The only downside was the dealerships description of the 80” as a Defender Series 1............

January 14, 2020 - 22:51
Reply #2

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
This prolonged wait to see any normal customer actually owning one, gives a whole new 4x4 perspective to that famous play :
 "Waiting for Godot"  :lipsrsealed:

January 14, 2020 - 23:03
Reply #3

Online gcc130

• LRSOC Member
I can’t remember a replacement vehicle launch being so drawn out.
Demonstrator vehicles will be in dealerships in spring I was told, first delivers in summer. And no hybrid or electric option.....
It is undoubtedly a fine vehicle with lots of technology but I fail to see how one will replace my hardworking 130 Defender🙁
3 Thanks.

January 14, 2020 - 23:25
Reply #4

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
This prolonged wait to see any normal customer actually owning one, gives a whole new 4x4 perspective to that famous play :
 "Waiting for Godot"  :lipsrsealed:

Godot never actually turned up so lets hope the customers do  :tic:  :steering:

January 15, 2020 - 09:06
Reply #5

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
 Wonder what the results will be now JLR have thrown their three peneth in with Enios, Jim Radcliffe’s Grenadier??
Now that’s the way JLR, I believe should have gone in the first place. A real Defender replacement. And  with Bowler in the same group now! This would have produced a formidable vehicle. Ah well we’ll see.
       Vardon
2 Thanks.
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

January 15, 2020 - 09:14
Reply #6

Offline A.J.M

• LRSOC Member
I had a good look at the new defender at my local dealer.

I really liked it, enough for it to be my next car in time.
There is a hybrid option with the petrol engine.
It’s what a modern defender should be.
Comfortable, well equipped, safe and still has the off road ability but with much greater on road ability as that’s where the old one was shocking on.

I honestly can’t see this Grenadier thing happening, regardless of who’s making it, it needs to pass the EU2022 regulations that are coming and the old defender shape couldn’t. Hence it was stopped.
That car will be complex to meet those regulations, and will have to have egrs, dpf, adblue and all the controls for that.

Modern day Delorean without the coke deal to end it all.

January 15, 2020 - 09:22
Reply #7

Offline Monster666

• LRSOC Member
£78k for petrol engined lwb; tad too much. Will be interesting to see what happens to 2nd hand prices

January 15, 2020 - 10:23
Reply #8

Offline Bruce

• LRSOC Member
It wasn't  any EU regulations that killed the old Defender, it was the cost to build a then relatively low volume vehicle. There was no profit in it. Talk to my nephew who is a design engineer at Solihull.

The Grenadier will happen and Ineos now have Steyr on board also. JLR lost their case trying to register the Defender "shape" also. We shall see whether it lives up to its hype better than the new Defender.

January 15, 2020 - 13:44
Reply #9

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
It wasn't  any EU regulations that killed the old Defender, it was the cost to build a then relatively low volume vehicle. There was no profit in it. Talk to my nephew who is a design engineer at Solihull.

The basic bolt to frame arrangement could not be adapted any more without major redesign.

When we were lucky enough to see the old Defender production line, just before the close,I was amused to spot one overhead feed This was used to delivered the complete bulkhead sub assemblies. What an intricate, but skillfully sequenced , nightmare this assembly had become. The bulkhead shape we all knew and admired for almost 60 years had disappeared inside a 'blob' of plastic and metals  onto which a whole lot of "essentials" had been added.... steering pump, abs systems, through airconditioning to air bags, numerous traction control ecu boxes, and wash wipe systems. The "blob" with so many wires and pipes to it  had become Impossible to work on while on the finished vehicle - completely uneconomic to attempt even the most basic service or repair of vital safety elements now bolted to it.
Time was up . That's not to claim the new Defender has been based around any 'simple to repair' ideal. For25 years now no attempt at simple fettle and fix has been engaged with. Got to pay for scores of  immaculate show rooms revealed by this Defender launch forum topic somehow.  :cool:

January 15, 2020 - 15:54
Reply #10

Offline A.J.M

• LRSOC Member
If, Inoes do try and keep the old defender shape.

They are going to struggle to get that through EU regs.

Where is the space for the rear parking sensors, driver monitoring systems in a car that never had an airbag..

My main gripe of the new one is the cost of it. It’s about 10 grand over what it should be.

January 15, 2020 - 16:05
Reply #11

Offline Duncan

• LRSOC Member
Just my opinion, but I don't see the staggering computerized abilities of this car or any other modern car for that matter as essential. I repair commercial transport trucks for a living and the number of computers on board is getting ridiculous. I personally rarely even use the radio in my defender as I love to hear the 300 tdi rattling along but I am a dinosaur. I don't see the term  " Work Horse Of The World " attached to this Landrover.  Thanks for reading my rant
4 Thanks.

January 16, 2020 - 12:55
Reply #12

Offline jonhutchings

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
    • Notes from a small shed
I imagine that the new Defender will do well, it's an awesome bit of kit. As an IT professional however if worries me that it has so much reliance on IT technology (there is a JLR press video which talks about it auto updating over 4G the system modules, including "accelerator" "braking") . Call me old fashioned but I'd rather not find that my accelerator or braking system changes how it responds due to some dodgy software update that the car has installed overnight.

As for the Ineos vehicle, I notice that their website carefully avoids any pictures/artist impressions etc. of the design. If it does get released it may be a good option for companies/owners looking for a more basic utility vehicle , but as others have pointed out many of the driver aids an electronic systems are mandated by various regulations, so anyone who thinks it will be "like an old defender" is possibly going to be disappointed.
2 Thanks.
Area rep for Herefordshire and Worcestershire

1953 80"  T&T and in use
1958 88" Diesel - back together and smokin'
1950 80 in bits (very long term rebuild)

March 29, 2020 - 08:47
Reply #13

Offline Bjornung

Starting to like the new Defender,

But - learned to today that prices here in Norway for the 110 starts at just below 1 300 000 and 1 500 000 NOK depending on engine.
That's around 1 000 000 and 1 154 000 GBP with todays rate.

Have to admit that is beyond by pension, and better not even think about it.

Bjørnung
86" 1955
Daily car - Discovery 4 SDV6 2015
Previous owned LR: Discovery II V8, 110, RRC 1978 (my daily car for 30 years)
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA (monitoring BM 242 and YSF 44919)  and have photography in general as a small hobby.

March 29, 2020 - 09:52
Reply #14

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
Bjornung, is the price not dependant on being on green plates?
     Vardon
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

March 29, 2020 - 10:02
Reply #15

Offline Bjornung

Bjornung, is the price not dependant on being on green plates?
     Vardon

Yes, you are right. These prices are not for green plates, that option will become available later I hope, but only for the 110 (is it actually 118?).
The importer needs to get the design for a cargo wall (dog guard) in place and the design, as installed, approved first.

I currently have a D4, bought second hand, on green plates (a minimum requirement for the size of the cargo area, which for he Defender will mean 2/3 front seat only).

Bjørnung

86" 1955
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA (monitoring BM 242 and YSF 44919)  and have photography in general as a small hobby.

March 29, 2020 - 10:19
Reply #16

Offline amccausl

• LRSOC Member
  • 1957 Station Wagon
I know Norway is expensive but surely that’s 130,000 & 115,000 GBP...?
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

March 29, 2020 - 10:30
Reply #17

Offline Bjornung

I know Norway is expensive but surely that’s 130,000 & 115,000 GBP...?
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

hehe you are absolutely right …  too many zeros  …. unfortunately still too much for me  :(

Bjørnung
86" 1955