Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Stretching the legs  (Read 670 times)

December 04, 2019 - 18:06
Read 670 times

Offline jkhackney

• Non-Member
Both the 86" and I needed to stretch our legs today after some days under the dark, grey rain. We live at the bottom of a hill and 1000m higher we found 40cm of new snow.

The road is steep and was frequently an ice sheet, which is a challenge in an old, lightweight 4x4.

In a modern AWD car with ABS brakes, you don't even notice the ice. Those drivers have to be patient with me. I keep it slow and careful!
But which one looks better ;^)  ?

-Jeremy

9 Thanks.

December 04, 2019 - 18:54
Reply #1

Offline Neil-S1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1956 Series 1
Great photo!

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

December 05, 2019 - 12:18
Reply #2

Offline Johan

• LRSOC & LR Register Member

December 05, 2019 - 21:34
Reply #3

Offline Rambler

• LRSOC Member
What a beautiful day and spot for your trip up (and down) the mountain  :smiley:
1957 Series I 88 (project restoration)
1961 Series II 88

December 09, 2019 - 14:54
Reply #4

Offline razor

• LRSOC Member
Jeremy,
I usually find the ski lifts in your corner of Alps to be some of the most modern and efficient in the world however I have not come across the one pictured in your photo.
No heated seat, a canvas rag instead of a bubble, skis poking precariously out the back, slowly rattling its way up the mountain.
Land Rover ist kein Doppelmayr, aber dennoch perfekt  ;D

December 10, 2019 - 10:10
Reply #5

Offline jkhackney

• Non-Member
Since it's a much more sensible 86 and not an 80, even my 205cm cross-country skis fit just fine inside!  :D   Where I might improve the system next time is to not drive in slippery ski pants, it adds unnecessary adventure.

It's Lombachalp, between Interlaken and Chemmeribodenbad, at 1600 meters. No lift here, just cross-country trails and tours in a nature preserve. The route to Gstaad is in the background.

As you may guess from my choice of car, I prefer the old, small, wool-and-leather areas on natural snow (and grass/rocks) to the globally-marketed six-seater spaceship lifts on fake snow with the yodelling and the wurst stand! The Bernese Highlands has no shame in aggressively pursuing what it claims will be 30 million Chinese skiers in the next decade ... altogether 4 times as many people as live in Switzerand! Tourism here has veered in the last 10 years away from England, U.S. and Japan and toward China, India and the UAE.

You probably wouldn't recognize it anymore!

Jeremy

December 10, 2019 - 10:46
Reply #6

Offline razor

• LRSOC Member
Haha, salapettes on vinyl!
Pure bliss. The Landy looks right at home.