Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: 1950’s Caterpillar construction safety.  (Read 645 times)

August 08, 2019 - 11:05
Read 645 times

Offline Old green snail

• LRSOC Member
  • I ask for eagles, you bring me flies.
I do like to browse YouTube for any old films that contain a glimpse of Series One at work back in the day. I’ve found a few over the years, sadly this one does not. But I thought it was too good not to post, and of course the safety message applies to us all, Series One driver or not.

https://youtu.be/CGDi5RAPXwI

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
3 Thanks.

August 16, 2019 - 08:12
Reply #1

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
Very interesting how the industry has changed in the last 60+ years but construction still has safety issues and avoidable accidents regularly happen.

On the S1 front who still works on their vehicle without assessing the risks? Perhaps some don’t even understand the possible risk before them.       Simply look, asses and act on it!     Sorry to have waste your time, hope not.
    Vardon
1 Thank you.
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

August 16, 2019 - 10:57
Reply #2

Offline donp38

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
This is very interesting and indeed 60 years ago and people today are still the same.
The industry has changed but in human evolution and core understanding of rick, I actually think we are getting worse.
The gap between legislation and human 'feel for risk' is getting bigger.

As young people, exposure to risk has got much lower. The step change from child to adult is increasing and core understanding is less.
People no longer wish to work where there is any danger and engineers are needing to engineer for a 'no brain' society.

I'll get my hat....(not hard hat) and run walk now.
Regards.
3 Thanks.

August 16, 2019 - 15:27
Reply #3

Offline bevelrub

• LRSOC Member
I wonder if one risk assess life and acts on it one does not get out of bed ? I think that coping with a risk activity is an essential part of life. It has something to do with accepting personal responsibility for the actions we take. I sense that we are moving to a culture of not doing anything with a risk attached (nanny state) and one where if an accident/incident does occur then it is someone else's fault. Many of us as Land Rover owners have placed our vehicles in some awkward places and have thrilled in the doing and the getting out of it afterwards. I have trialled, green laned, and winch challenged in the past (not in a series 1 though !) and by the grace of whomever have lived to tell the tale. Not necessarily the most extreme in terms of actual driving but with extreme potential for hurt was driving up (and down) the Lion's Back near Moab, Utah. Google/you Tube it if you haven't heard of it. The risk was a many sided challenge. The credit card might have suffered as I was in a "rental" (hire car on this side of the pond). My passenger might have suffered if I managed to get it wrong, massive responsibility. I might have suffered if he got it wrong when we swapped over for another go. I wonder why the authorities have closed it off ? More nanny state ?
ATB John

August 17, 2019 - 17:42
Reply #4

Offline vardjewell

• LRSOC Member
It’s an interesting subjects. I raised a number of years ago whilst employed by a major oil company that we were entering a time when people generally looked for the WARNING SIGN and not the risk or hazard. Classic “ beware wet floor” or [size=78%]“Open hole”  I belief we’ve now a situation were people think if there’s no sign or relevant warning  there’s no risk or hazard. How is this to be overcome I wonder?[/size]

[/size][size=78%]     Vardon[/size]
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

August 18, 2019 - 09:03
Reply #5

Offline Old green snail

• LRSOC Member
  • I ask for eagles, you bring me flies.
I suppose a Hawaiian shirt could vaguely pass as a Hi-Viz, but the trillby hat wouldn’t do you any favors!

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

August 18, 2019 - 09:40
Reply #6

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
I belief we’ve now a situation were people think if there’s no sign or relevant warning  there’s no risk or hazard. How is this to be overcome I wonder?
Accidentally, after killing off many of the fittest and ablest individuals in two 20th Century world wars, modern well intentioned regulation and certification,  is now endangering "natural selection". The pathway back to that natural state of affairs is unthinkable...not to overstate the catch-up  role of evolving medication. Probably what will occur in future is so far outside our control it's certain to happen anyway.. for final boundaries to "growth" are essential ?  :lipsrsealed: