Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: 1958 88" Series 1  (Read 386 times)

April 11, 2019 - 13:30
Read 386 times

Offline TinMan

• Non-Member
Hello. New on here and was wondering if I could ask some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a 1958 88" Series 1 (authenticated by LRSOC and DVLA). It was a project for someone, but they have no time to finish it. Is it worth restoring or leaving in it's original state?

April 11, 2019 - 13:42
Reply #1

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • The last lap...reassembly of the Spreadbore...
If you are referring to whether or not you repaint it - this is a question entirely for you.  Some prefer the "patinated" look, whilst others like the "showroom" look.

If you are asking if you will possibly have to spend a lot of money on it to make it mechanically sound, then the answer is possibly yes.  Do not buy it thinking that you will make a huge profit by "doing it up" then selling it on - inevitably in parts alone this could cost you more than you receive by selling it on.  Buy it to enjoy it, drive it and do it up to being the vehicle that you are wanting - not what you think the market wants.

Mark

April 11, 2019 - 14:12
Reply #2

Offline TinMan

• Non-Member
I'm asking more if it would be better leaving it historically accurate or as it runs or restoring it, as I would like to know which would bring the most money. I already have several Safaris ranging from 88" to 109". I want to know whether it will bring more restored or as a running piece of history.

April 11, 2019 - 14:19
Reply #3

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
  Buy it to enjoy it, drive it and do it up to being the vehicle that you are wanting - not what you think the market wants.
There's another side to Mark's excellent advice.
Parts for old Land Rovers are becoming more costly, but also a great many perfectly serviceable parts have been "junked" over the past 15 -20 years , in some "obsession" to have a technically perfect vehicle.
Once any machine has been run at all , and is then opened up for inspection, a dilemma is also opened.  People with surplus cash to spend feel its more "responsible" to change good parts for even better. Sometimes removed second quality parts will become available to others. Far too often some will discard them..( "weighed in for scrap" something a true classic car enthusiast would never do).

You will not know with any early series Land Rover you buy today, where in the cycle of use/reinstatement any previous owner got this wagon. It is quite likely that lots of lightly used parts are already part of it. ..few people drive far or use these old things hard enough today to wear them out .  Only experience with early engineering can confirm this.
What you may be looking at a 'patinated' mechanical wreck which needs everything checked over to be reliable and safe again......or it can be someone's on-going stalled project, perhaps from a deceased person's estate  that has done next to no miles since  vital ( read expensive) parts were swopped for better ones...but the "wife" was never told much about it.  >:(
The plea in this is not to immediately strip any new find  to bits just because you are able to, and believe this is what must be done.  Get to know it first, and get as many second opinions as you can from those who do know their Series One Land Rovers well .
(Old Land Rovers are about investing money.. not gambling against possible "winnings". The days of mega buck paper "profits" have been over for several years. It is no longer a sellers market now.)

April 11, 2019 - 14:29
Reply #4

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • The last lap...reassembly of the Spreadbore...
I would like to know which would bring the most money

Buy a lottery ticket! 

As stated do not buy this as an "investment" seeking a return for your money - it will more than likely not happen with this vehicle - better to purchase an ultra rare Ferrari with a known history...
1 Thank you.

April 16, 2019 - 08:32
Reply #5

Offline landie57

• LRSOC Member
I always remember a comment I heard some years ago, "it is only original once".