Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Military identification plate  (Read 832 times)

February 14, 2019 - 09:43
Read 832 times

Offline Landy49

• LRSOC Member
Hi All,

Wondering if someone can help me please. The vehicle in question is a 1949. It has a military identification plate riveted to the right had side dump iron under the wing. Can anyone tell me any information on this. The unusual thing is it does not have the chassis number stamped on the military plate it is left blank.
(see attached photo)

Chassis- Under the green paint it silver and the vehicle is sage green

Also the bumper appears to have no galvanising on it at all just rust and silver/grey paint is this the correct bumper or a home made job?
(See attached photo)

February 14, 2019 - 11:26
Reply #1

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member

Little bit hard to see in the photo, but the chassis should be fishplate and the bumper should be a galvanised one bolted on. Yours seems to be welded on and not galvanised. The fishplates should have bolt holes and be welded to the chassis. Looks as if the front part of the fishplates has been cut off?

The plate is a later plate probably attached at the time of the overhaul and not the original contract plate. Part of its history though.

February 14, 2019 - 12:36
Reply #2

Offline fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
RLC  seems to have a 'key-card' for   37YH85     :huh:

http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleRan

February 14, 2019 - 12:58
Reply #3

Offline Landy49

• LRSOC Member
Sorry for some reason in that the photo the bumper has been pushed over the fish plates

February 14, 2019 - 14:56
Reply #4

Offline msm80

• RAF 1952 80" - 1948 80" - 1951 80" - Freelander2
RLC  seems to have a 'key-card' for   37YH85     :huh: 
http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleRan

That's a good start me thinks :smiley:
Malcolm
My Co-Pilot in the 80  :  )
Are we there yet!!

Area Rep Dorset

February 15, 2019 - 12:07
Reply #5

Offline fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
--YH--   ,  yesterday I was more than a little sus.   Further research (far from complete)  , indicates  --YJ-- was a sequence used on  "re-numbered" vehicles  .  Due to close proximity of   YH  &  YJ   -  I can only assume for some presently unknown reason , the case is the same    :undecided:      :huh:

February 15, 2019 - 21:53
Reply #6

Offline ferret1958uk

• Non-Member
One of the early ones! YH military registrations were given to military vehicles when the registration marking for the army changed from a single letter and a serial number such as M6279781 Which was a Land Rover re-registered as as YJ serial.

Have a look at some of John Mastrangelo's works in the military part of this forum. He has done some excellent research on the early Land Rovers.  Yours will almost certainly be a Rover Mk1.

February 15, 2019 - 22:02
Reply #7

Offline ferret1958uk

• Non-Member
Come on then, which chassis number is yours?

Either of these two by any miracle? (Cut and pasted from John Mastrangelo's post elsewhere on this forum.)

Chassis R-860753 and R-860760 are not listed as having a new YJ registration. These two vehicles are not listed on the YJ data cards. However, one of these was registered as 98 ZA 08 but I have no information as to which one.

February 16, 2019 - 09:05
Reply #8

Offline Landy49

• LRSOC Member
Thank you to you all for the information and advice I contact RLC as suggested by fulltilt and they have it on there records but itís not from a Land Rover, the number is associated with a Willyís ford jeeps from early 40s

February 16, 2019 - 12:19
Reply #9

Offline TomC

Thank you to you all for the information and advice I contact RLC as suggested by fulltilt and they have it on there records but itís not from a Land Rover, the number is associated with a Willyís ford jeeps from early 40s

So the answer is to supply your chassis number and then that might be put into context. It may not even be a military, but someone might be able to pin the chassis number down.

Of course you may have found the remains of the original centre-steer!  :tic: Unfortunately the dates rule that out :(

February 16, 2019 - 13:42
Reply #10

Online 34058

I would caution against putting too strong a link between the plate and the vehicle it is attached to.  I used to have a penchant for putting spurious stickers on my vehicles.  I have a Turbo sticker on my naturally aspirated motorcycle.  A friend had a 100 ton HGV 'plate' on his Mini van.
Let us know the chassis number for more reliable information.
David

Sent from my two tin cans joined with a bit of string.

What do you mean "I don't have a parts book"?  Come now, it costs less that half the price of a tank of petrol.

February 16, 2019 - 17:29
Reply #11

Offline Landy49

• LRSOC Member
Chassis number 8664414

February 16, 2019 - 17:46
Reply #12

Offline TomC

Chassis number 8664414

1997 belonged to Peter G. Gutteridge of Weymouth.

February 16, 2019 - 17:49
Reply #13

Offline Landy49

• LRSOC Member
I bought it off his son