Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Ex-gendarme 1952 series one. Hi everybody, from Belgium!  (Read 658 times)

January 10, 2019 - 20:18
Read 658 times

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member
Hi all!

Just bought a 1952 model 2.0l that was formerly a ex-gendarme patrol car. (Rijkswacht) The previous owner had it for 40 years and redid the chassis and painted it all green (everywhere). Good thing is that the chassis is hard, bad thing is that my PTO-hole is gone in the rear. Most likely they put a Minerva rear in the back.

Three weeks ago I was not expecting to own a series one but somehow google knows I like Land Rovers and they stalked me with this ad from a series one. And I fell in love with it!

It is a CKD LHD model

chassis number starts with 26630***

It runs, but needs new brakes, a complete engine check, rewiring, fuel tank and oilchange. Also in need of a original complete left door. The one now is from a Minerva (Steel)

First, I am going to get this thing trough MOT to get it on the road. Bodywork is not a priority, I like it rough

Looking forward to the summer!

Many greetings!!!

January 10, 2019 - 20:36
Reply #1

Offline christian

• Non-Member

January 10, 2019 - 21:35
Reply #2

Offline Stephen

• LRSOC Member
Welcome ! That’s lovely  :cool:

Stephen.
1956 88",  1940's Brockhouse

January 11, 2019 - 07:17
Reply #3

Offline DuckSherminator

• LRSOC Member
  • 1952 80" LHD
Hi, great Series one you got there! Where are you from in Belgium?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using LRSOC mobile app

Series 1 apprentice eager to get his 80" back on the road.

January 11, 2019 - 08:28
Reply #4

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member
Hi, great Series one you got there! Where are you from in Belgium?

Hi, Thank you very much all!

I am from Leuven. And you?

January 11, 2019 - 11:25
Reply #5

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member

Welcome. The 2663...…………… chassis number is for a LHD CKD, so it might be that they changed the chassis and the registered number too.

There is quite a lot of interesting and informative information on here for the Rijkswacht vehicles. Put Rijkswacht into the forum search and you will find lots to read about them.

January 11, 2019 - 12:40
Reply #6

Offline Tom_W

• LRSOC Member
More than likely nothing wrong with your chassis number as the Belgian Gendarmerie also had batches of CKD Land Rovers sent out from the UK in component form. These were then assembled in Belgium.
Only the first Gendarmerie Land Rovers were built in Solihull and have a left hand drive-export chassisnumber starting with 2613....

Regards,

Tom

January 11, 2019 - 14:43
Reply #7

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member
The chassisnumber is ok. I am just missing the pto hole in the back. There are pto holes underneath. Number is 26630152

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

January 11, 2019 - 15:35
Reply #8

Offline magnifiko

• LRSOC Member
Hi Philippe, nice to see another ex-Rijkswacht from the CKD batch. Mine is 26630006, which went to the brandweer (fire brigade) of Moorslede after being sold by the Rijkswacht around 1969. It is completely torn down now, but I expect to rebuild it over the next couple of years.

In July there is the Opheers leafers event, less than 50 km from Leuven, it would be great to see you and your Rijkswacht there.

January 11, 2019 - 15:43
Reply #9

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member
Hi Philippe, nice to see another ex-Rijkswacht from the CKD batch. Mine is 26630006, which went to the brandweer (fire brigade) of Moorslede after being sold by the Rijkswacht around 1969. It is completely torn down now, but I expect to rebuild it over the next couple of years.
In July there is the Opheers leafers event, less than 50 km from Leuven, it would be great to see you and your Rijkswacht there.

I would love to see some pictures of your series one and I recognize a challenge when I see one...July it is! I will look up Opheers Leafers

Greetings!

January 11, 2019 - 15:55
Reply #10

Offline magnifiko

• LRSOC Member
That would be great, this is their page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/opheers/

You can also send me your email address via personal message so I can forward an email of the event organiser.

These are some pictures of my project, just before I took it apart, and in its former glory with the fire brigade. Mine had some Minerva parts as well (e.g. hood), but that is already on the picture from 1974, so I have decided to keep it.

January 11, 2019 - 18:50
Reply #11

Offline Johan

Hello,
Nice one!  26630152 is a proper CKD Gendarmerie chassis number. 
It is a september 1951 build vehicle, Model Year 1952.

January 11, 2019 - 23:02
Reply #12

Offline TomC

Nice one!  26630152 is a proper CKD Gendarmerie chassis number. 
It is a september 1951 build vehicle, Model Year 1952.

So would the chassis have been a Land Rover one originally or a Minerva one without PTO hole?

January 11, 2019 - 23:09
Reply #13

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member

So would the chassis have been a Land Rover one originally or a Minerva one without PTO hole?
My guess is, since the car has been rebuilt in 1994, they took the rear chassis piece from Minerva. Underneath the car I have my pto hole

January 12, 2019 - 08:03
Reply #14

Offline Johan

Yes it should have a proper land rover chassis.  And if the pto hole is present in the crossmember behind the gearbox I would also think that it has been repaired with a minerva rear crossmember.

January 12, 2019 - 08:04
Reply #15

Offline Philippe

• Non-Member
Yes it should have a proper land rover chassis.  And if the pto hole is present in the crossmember behind the gearbox I would also think that it has been repaired with a minerva rear crossmember.
Thx Johan, it has a hole in the crossmember

January 12, 2019 - 11:30
Reply #16

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• Non-Member
Nice find,congratulations.Welcome here.Regards Eddy
1954 Minerva Ex Rijkswacht.
1952 Series 1 Lhd

January 12, 2019 - 11:46
Reply #17

Offline Philippe