Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: bwg 896  (Read 2148 times)

July 01, 2018 - 10:20
Read 2148 times

Offline monstercake

• LRSOC Member
Hi all
Thanks to all those who aided me in a previous post concerning the su petrol pump. A new pump kit and flexi hose was fitted and the rest was left as found amazingly it fired up after sitting for 25 years in my garage. My granddaughter has posted a short video on you tube (1948 unrestored landrover starts for the first time in 25 years) that was fib it was the second time!. the Exhaust was cut off removing it from the barn as it was hindering me removing it. For anyone who cares to view and may express their opinion on how it sounds, I think there is a tappet noise but not sure with no exhaust, there is no smoke i now have it running from its tank although it seemed to take an eternity to prime up to the carb.

The clutch is stuck as it was when I got it ( the farmer removed the landrover from the barn in an attempt to release it down a field I happened to be passing at that exact time and thatís how I came across it) anyway I read on the forum that it may be possible to release it by getting the engine hot and keep pressing the clutch pedal would this work? I will need to change the engine oil first I donít know how long itís been there.

All the best

July 01, 2018 - 11:28
Reply #1

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Is sarcasm a very deep sar??

July 01, 2018 - 11:39
Reply #2

Offline monstercake

• LRSOC Member
Hi monkey pin
Thanks for that yes thatís the one cheers

February 08, 2019 - 23:25
Reply #3

Offline 715GC Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Was the vendor testing the market? Or have they decided to do the right thing by the car and get on with the project? Either way the auction has been pulled! Maybe they were offered an offer they couldn't refuse! Wonder if we will get an explanation?
NEED A HOOD OR SEATS FOR YOUR SERIES ONE, Go to http://wwspares.co.uk/
Current home of L29, Pollyanna, JAC and LAC, Ozzie trayback
Check us out on facebook here www.facebook.com/undercovercovertompickford/?pnref=story

February 09, 2019 - 13:15
Reply #4

Offline monstercake

• LRSOC Member

Came onto LrSOC this morning, and I must say, Iím a little taken aback by some of the comments, however, thank you greensheets86 for reading the full description.  For anyone who didnít read and requires Ďan explanationí ??, I will include my final footnote which appeared on the auction for 24hrs before it was removed and can still be seen by accessing the auction link.

ďOn 07-Feb-19 at 18:57:59 GMT, seller added the following information:

Hi all
It is with sincere apologies this listing will be closed down in the next 24hours. This is because there has been a development concerning the registration plate. If the information I have received turns out to be false then this Land Rover will be relisted  in due course. I do hope this time limit will give all those who placed bids an opportunity to understand why it is being removed. Please do not place any further bids.

Thank you and again my apologies.Ē

Now I do understand, ending the auction early, was somewhat of an upset for genuinely interested buyers, nevertheless, I donít understand why it would be necessary to label myself as Ďa vendorí.  I am ĎThe ownerí.  The restoration of this 70 year old vehicle was never an option; not only for to preserve the authenticity, but until I had all documents, Ďthe projectí could not go ahead, as all members will know, and have been advised when in a similar situation.

Iím still the Ďownerí of the vehicle, this is my ONLY vehicle and I do not have readily available other 1948 models or rare materials and parts that I can access to manipulate an Ďoriginalí.  BWG, is as she was when she left the barn and joined my household.  As TomC quite rightly comments,  ďThe old farmer who never drove on tarmac, never above 2nd gear, and never changed the oil only topping up with tractor products is unlikely to be selling the same vehicle as the 'one lady owner'. That includes Barbara Toy.Ē  Iím oceans away from being an authority but still remain highly optimistic about the development Iíve mentioned. At least my auction has given me that small bit of hope to cling onto, which I feel I havenít received from The Series One club.  Iím not out to criticise in any way, shape or form, as it is without a doubt the best platform for anyone seeking advice in respect of Landrovers and the knowledge contained accumulatively is beyond extensive.  The majority of members are a great bunch of lads, courteous and helpful. I just feel any previous efforts I made were shot down and left me somewhat disconcerted.  After a quarter of a century, and no further forward, Ďtesting the watersí wasnít the purpose of BWGís listing.  As previously mentioned, it was with a heavy heart she was listed on eBay, therefore, forgive me for disappointing anyone following BWGís auction but my intentions for her may now become a reality. Now I understand the phrase, ďWhen it rains, look for rainbows, when itís dark, look for stars.Ē - Oscar Wilde

The picture I have included, will highlight and emphasise, my sole intention was never to mislead anyone.  It is as it was when I got it!
5 Thanks.

February 09, 2019 - 14:00
Reply #5

Offline Willerby

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • LRSOC
Not sure what info you expected the LRSOC to provide? If itís a suggestion that DVLA should be pursued re destruction of records as an angle to get back the orig registration Iím not sure that is a viable route or one anyone would recommend.

It will involve a legal case as all approaches will be batted back until it reaches a court. Has FBHVC suggested or trialled this on behalf of other marques with any success?

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
1 Thank you.

February 09, 2019 - 15:06
Reply #6

Offline albion1938

• LRSOC Member
I know the DVLA are often the cause of complaints, but to be fair, computerisation of vehicle records took place in the late '70s and beginning of the '80s. It's completely unrealistic to expect any organisation to hold old paper records 40 years on - 40 years in which owners of vehicles that inevitably slipped through the net could have corrected the situation, the scheme was well publicised at the time of changeover and mistakes/omissions weren't uncommon and caught in time could be corrected. DVLA have always been strict about provision of proof in getting an old number back, but it used to be a lot easier than now, sadly in recent times there has been a lot of abuse of the system and inevitably the DVLA have become even stricter.
Bernard

February 09, 2019 - 15:34
Reply #7

Offline monstercake

• LRSOC Member
If you read my post I donít mention the DVLA that is a separate post.

February 09, 2019 - 16:26
Reply #8

• LRSOC Member
All seam rather strange to me, Why are you worried about the DVLA now, you knew when the auction started you didn't have a V5, One of the threads about this vehicle and it lack of V5 goes back 9 years!
Moving forwards I don't think you will get the BWG number back, it it will get an age related number, at the point of selling it on line last week it would have become the new owners problem to sort out. Maybe you will get on and get it done now.

The BWG number will be always part of its history and the number can be shown at displays.
As I have always said, I would love to see this vehicle recommissioned, with minimal amount done to it. Good luck with it. I will put my cheque book away  :tic:

Check us out on facebook here www.facebook.com/undercovercovertompickford/?pnref=story

February 09, 2019 - 16:44
Reply #9

Offline monstercake

• LRSOC Member
What are you talking about?  I didnít mention the DVLA in my post.

February 09, 2019 - 16:45
Reply #10

Offline albion1938

• LRSOC Member
If you read my post I donít mention the DVLA that is a separate post.
My response was really to Willerby but there is an evident connection between the posts.
Bernard

February 09, 2019 - 16:48
Reply #11

• LRSOC Member
What are you talking about?  I didnít mention the DVLA in my post.
Lets hope you get it sorted out for the positive, good luck

February 09, 2019 - 16:50
Reply #12

Offline owenedge Trade

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
DVLA need the paper evidence, and verification of that evidence from the correct club in this case LRSOC or the 48-53 Register.
I have just sent my buff V60 off through the vintage Jap motorcycle club with the various photos and bits they required, and had my new V5 arrive back all within 7 days of me first posting it to the club. Best bit DVLA do not charge for this as I had the original V60, when they update there data base it shows the original date of registration too. Just goes to show the DVLA are able to help when you provide the correct evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

February 09, 2019 - 19:28
Reply #13

Offline Rangie

• Oct '48 - R860487
I spent two years buggering around and chasing every option available to me but ultimately I could not find concrete archive evidence to tie the original registration number to the chassis number.

I bit the bullet (so I could get on with the damned project), and with the help of Milkman and an Engineer friend, got mine re-registered. If any evidence shows in the future I will re-claim the original number. Until then the old plates are "show plates".

Get it re-registered for now or sell as-is, those are your options.

Alec.
2 Thanks.
Daily Driver: '72 S3 109 Hardtop
Work in progress: '48 S1, '77 2.6 6-Cyl SW
Toys: '72 Rover 11 Ambulance Camper, Chevy M1009 K5 Blazer.

February 11, 2019 - 03:21
Reply #14

Offline Jpc

• Non-Member
I hope whatever caused the auction to be pulled was worth the risk of eBay applying their terms & conditions rule of still charging the 10% selling fee (based on the bid price at time of ending it) on the listing as if it sold.
 They fee does have a cap at £250.
I was convinced the bidders like me were all aware it might not stay on that number & foreign buyers/collectors would be even less bothered wouldn't they ?

February 11, 2019 - 09:47
Reply #15

Online gertie Moderator

If there is now a chance the original reg may be issued will you still be selling it?
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

February 11, 2019 - 10:38
Reply #16

Offline starken

• LRSOC Member

I read the original listing and found it interesting straight forward comprehensive and to me it seemed perfectly genuine.
I've found some of the responses on the forum to be at best unsympathetic verging on the offensive as well as unnecessary.
Could do better. 3/10.
5 Thanks.

February 12, 2019 - 01:00
Reply #17

Offline Jpc

• Non-Member
I read the original listing and found it interesting straight forward comprehensive and to me it seemed perfectly genuine.
I've found some of the responses on the forum to be at best unsympathetic verging on the offensive as well as unnecessary.
Could do better. 3/10.
Come on now, let's have some perspective, eBay themselves warn against ending auctions early, it does wind people up who may have invested time in arranging funds to buy what is a unique vehicle.
The description was indeed a very good read & the V5c situation very clear.
OK, If the Reg number had been sold to someone with the initials B.W.G to put on a Mondao then that's a bit of a downer but if it was simply lost due to the vehicle being carefully tucked away it is just another part of the vehicles genuine history.
The new owner may not even want to use it on the road, I would have been surprised if pulling the auction created no grumbling at all.

February 12, 2019 - 06:54
Reply #18

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • The last lap...reassembly of the Spreadbore...
If the rules of an auction allow a Vendor to withdraw the low prior to the end of the times period then he or she is perfectly entitled to do so. Unless you have taken the time and trouble to inspect the lot properly whilst the lot was in the auction you really have no cause for complaint. It is part of the willing seller, willing buyer process.
I am an Auctioneer...
1 Thank you.

February 12, 2019 - 08:06
Reply #19

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
    • www.classiccarvaluations.co.uk
That golden era before the internet when an ad was a one line description and a phone number and the only people whose business it was was the buyer and seller.
5 Thanks.
www.classiccarvaluations.co.uk
25 years classic vehicle valuation experience, qualified & insured. 35 years playing with Series Ones.