Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Returning Member  (Read 1648 times)

October 30, 2017 - 20:34
Read 1648 times

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Hi,

I've just returned to the Club after a gap of several years.  I've owned my 1954 S1 Hardtop since 2001 but have recently been diverted to rebuilding a SII Forward Control (photo).  With that project now complete I've started on the S1.  Currently in bits with the chassis away being grit blasted.  "Before" phot attached and a couple of progress shots.  Still to decide on the final configration (keep the Hard Top or go canvas), colour etc.  Left the factory in grey but currently a (I think non-original) blue.

Looking forward to taking part in the forum discussions

David

October 31, 2017 - 07:30
Reply #1

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF 1952 80" - 1948 80" - 1951 80" - Freelander2
Welcome back to the fold David
Looks like a nice solid S1 to get stuck into. If like me your gap years span decades you'll be surprised at the cost of stuff but I've thoroughly enjoyed getting back on the road with my S1's and meeting new friends at events.
Malcolm
1 Thank you.
My Co-Pilot in the 80  :  )
Are we there yet!!

Area Rep Dorset

October 31, 2017 - 12:26
Reply #2

Offline Jules

• LRSOC Member

Lovely Patina on the panels - what engine has it got?
I'm also a fan of the Aston behind it - very different beast but just as nice.
Welcome back.
Jules

October 31, 2017 - 12:43
Reply #3

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Changed to a 2.25 engine prior to my ownership.  I will probably keep as retro-fitting a 2l seems a bit daft.  I've not yet decided what to do about paint / colour.  Heritage certificate says it left the factory in grey but based on my initial research all basic 86 inch models were in bronze green.  Will probably keep as a hard top.

Agree that costs have risen substantially in the last couple of years - I know as I've just ordered a new bulkhead!  However so have values if the comics are to be believed.

Aston is a great toy and reasonably practical, I make a point of doing the grocery shopping in it just to remind my wife......

October 31, 2017 - 13:44
Reply #4

Offline jason77

Lovely Patina on the panels - what engine has it got?
I'm also a fan of the Aston behind it - very different beast but just as nice.
Welcome back.
Jules

What Aston?

October 31, 2017 - 13:53
Reply #5

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
It's a 2006 V8 Vantage I've had for around 5 years now.  Very beautiful car and trouble free, couple of photos attached  The car you've always promised yourself...... 

October 31, 2017 - 15:06
Reply #6

Offline Jules

• LRSOC Member

What Aston?

Look at his first picture and you can just make out the Aston grill behind the Land Rover.
Jules

January 10, 2018 - 21:00
Reply #7

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Some good progress over the last month or so - aiming for the "Back to the Bay" event for completion......

September 02, 2018 - 17:19
Reply #8

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Progress has been a little slow on the re-build recently but now mobile under own power, first time out of the garage this afternoon.
1 Thank you.

September 02, 2018 - 18:01
Reply #9

Offline 34058

Nice work.  It always brings a grin to one's face driving them around like that, as well as the satisfaction of getting it mobile at last.  A good boost if enthusiasm was flagging.
BTW, do you suffer from mystery punctures?  That bantam looks like it has its sights on the Aston's tyre.   ;D
David
What do you mean "I don't have a parts book"?  Come now, it costs less that half the price of a tank of petrol.

September 03, 2018 - 08:40
Reply #10

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Thanks David.  Yes, coming on, ready for Back to the Bay was a little ambitious but hopefully next summer.  No bantam-induced punctures yet but need to be careful moving cars around the yard, they have no road sense.....

Nice work.  It always brings a grin to one's face driving them around like that, as well as the satisfaction of getting it mobile at last.  A good boost if enthusiasm was flagging.
BTW, do you suffer from mystery punctures?  That bantam looks like it has its sights on the Aston's tyre.   ;D
David

June 08, 2019 - 13:18
Reply #11

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Some recent photos, nearly there....
2 Thanks.

June 09, 2019 - 11:15
Reply #12

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
Thats a nice job, and different in the grey. Are you keeping the hardtop, as most are softtop.  I have a 55 Hardtop with lots of origonal paintwork,
and its a bit hotter in the summer, and cooler in the winter, than a canvas top.also think its noisier on a long journey , but looking at some acoustic
 "dynamat " to line the inside of the roof for insulation. Or wear earplugs. Its your trainset to do as you wish !
1955 S1 hardtop, A reg finished at last after 9 yrs,
  Also 110 defender Tdci, BMW Z3

June 09, 2019 - 13:56
Reply #13

Offline lanceley

• LRSOC Member
Thats a nice job, and different in the grey. Are you keeping the hardtop, as most are softtop.  I have a 55 Hardtop with lots of origonal paintwork,
and its a bit hotter in the summer, and cooler in the winter, than a canvas top.also think its noisier on a long journey , but looking at some acoustic
 "dynamat " to line the inside of the roof for insulation. Or wear earplugs. Its your trainset to do as you wish !

Dithered for some time about hard top / soft top but eventually went for hard top as that was how it was and probably less common.  Will be fairly occasional use so not too bothered about noise / temperature  levels.  In the process (this afternoon!) of fitting the hardtop.......