Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Great Train Robbery - Series One.  (Read 27362 times)

September 06, 2012 - 10:49
Read 27362 times

Offline Dave_109

• LRSOC Member
Did anyone see this TV program on ITV1 last night? Nice bit of Series 1 content, was it a member's vehicle? Does anyone know if the Land Rover (s) used in the robbery survive?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

September 06, 2012 - 11:54
Reply #1

Offline Andy & William

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Hi
I seen it PSU 790 there was also a series 2 LR just behind the truck
Andy
Series 1 80" 1949
Series 1 88" 1957

September 06, 2012 - 11:58
Reply #2

Offline TomC

Try ' Train Robbery ' in the search and you should find a bit about the vehicles.

September 08, 2012 - 07:54
Reply #3

Offline MilkMan

• LRSOC Member
   Watched the ITV Drama this week - 'Mrs Briggs'. Very interesting as I grew up near leverslade Farm. I spotted a Series One towards the end of this weeks programme ( PSU 790 ). From memory 2 Land Rovers were used in the robbery both on identical 'A' plate registrations. The original Series One used in the robbery ( with it's original 'A' registration ) was owned by a club member. I remember seeing the vehicle at a Land Rover Rally many years ago. Does anybody know what happened to the vehicle ? Watch next weeks programme for more Series One action. As a passing thought is PSU 790 owned by a Club Member.
                    Regards,
                                 Mick.

September 08, 2012 - 13:06
Reply #4

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
If its on an A reg, then like mine was probably ex military, later on the A plate was also given after a transfer from a cherished
plate, but there werent lots  back then.     
1955 S1 hardtop, A reg finished at last after 9 yrs,
  Also 110 defender Tdci, BMW Z3

September 09, 2012 - 21:16
Reply #5

Offline Dave_109

• LRSOC Member
Interesting title change - why change it when the title directly related to a particular program?

I look forward to watching next week and would be interested to hear if the Land Rovers whereabouts are known.

September 09, 2012 - 23:02
Reply #6

Offline TomC

Interesting title change - why change it when the title directly related to a particular program?

Not quite sure what you mean, but on the off chance you refer to the two differently titled posts?  Then that came from the amalgamation of two threads on the same subject, but the title is and was your own from your original post, so there hasn't exactly been any 'title change'.

But perhaps that isn't what you mean?

PS.  Now I do see what you mean.  Not quite sure how that happened - don't think it was intended.

September 10, 2012 - 13:09
Reply #7

Offline redrover

• LRSOC Member
Like MilkMan I remember seeing one of the vehicles at Weeting Steam Rally in about 1990 or so. Think someone local (Norfolk) had it then? Can't recall who.

September 10, 2012 - 14:29
Reply #8

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member

September 10, 2012 - 16:00
Reply #9

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

I seam to remember in Legend, that the owner passed away.Could be wrong.

September 10, 2012 - 17:49
Reply #10

Offline John C

• LRSOC Member
It was featured in LRW during my time there along with some Great Train Robbery history. It was A-reg because it was ex-army and released in 1963 (back then ex-mil vehicles got a current rather than age-related number). Louise LImb illustrated it and is included in her 2012 calendar.
I too heard that the owner had passed away and the vehicle hasn't been about since then that I know of.

JC

September 10, 2012 - 18:12
Reply #11

Offline John C

• LRSOC Member
1 Thank you.

September 10, 2012 - 21:51
Reply #12

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member
LRW must be where I remember a picture of it when it was auctioned off - by BCA I think? - and a picture of it sat in the back of the Austin lorry also used in the robbery and kept back as evidence.

September 10, 2012 - 22:06
Reply #13

Offline John C

• LRSOC Member
I think there was a Stafford Dovey connection too; I think he sold the LRs to the gang without knowing they were villains and then got hauled in for questioning as the Bobbies thought he was in on it... I'm not 100% on all the details

September 10, 2012 - 23:42
Reply #14

Offline TomC

My recollection was that they nicked the Land Rovers - one from the middle of London I seem to recall.

September 12, 2012 - 20:23
Reply #15

Offline seriesonewelder

• LRSOC Member
  • 1957 109" Truck Cab
Picture taken at the 45th Rally
3 Thanks.
Legend - have you contributed?

http://theoldstagshead.co.uk/
Bed & Breakfast near Taunton owned by a long standing club member.

September 13, 2012 - 10:50
Reply #16

Offline Dave_109

• LRSOC Member

September 13, 2012 - 12:29
Reply #17

Offline Neil-S1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1956 Series 1
Brief appearence of the Series 1 again in Mrs Biggs last night ...

September 26, 2012 - 07:53
Reply #18

Offline biggs

• Non-Member

I have BMG757A which is the earlier of the two Land Rovers (1949 1600cc) that were used in the train robbery. She is still alive and well but sadly doesn't get used that much at the moment. BMG757A did go to Billing many many years ago (see photo in previous post) and use to go to Weeting Steam Rally in the 90's but hasn't been since. However she does go to the odd steam rally like Henham although not necessary exhibiting so you may just find her in the car park! I drove her to the bridge for the 40th anniversary of the train robbery and have got some photos somewhere, I'll see what I can dig out.
5 Thanks.

September 26, 2012 - 12:02
Reply #19

Offline Series One 80

• LRSOC Member
  • Mole Truck
    • www.cheshirepestcontrol.co.uk
Look forward to seeing some photos very much  ;D , what a history of curiosity for a landrover.

ps. like your username