Land Rover Series One Club
If you can see this message, you're not getting to see all the wonderful content on this website... why not REGISTER for our forum and get access to so much more?

Author Topic: Starting Crank Handle Help  (Read 2896 times)

April 11, 2012 - 07:08
Read 2896 times

Offline rayhyland

• Non-Member
  • How could anyone only own one Land Rover?
Hey everyone,

a few of us poor cousins on this side of the pond find ourselves with various series ones, and no starting-crank handles.

So we've decided, as they don't seem that complicated, it would probably be easier and cheaper to make a few over here in Canukistan, than to buy them in the UK and ship them across.

But, we are still hoping to keep everything on our trucks as original looking as possible. So, what we are hoping is that someone would be able to take some pics and measurements of a genuine starting handle and post it up here.

We are assuming that the Series Ones all had pretty-much the same handle, or that they are at least all interchangeable...

Thanks very much, in advance

Ray, Dave, Roger, etc.
Ray Hyland
Member of The Explorers Club, Fellow of the RCGS, Contributing Editor for Overland Journal and Expedition Portal. Land Rover Addict.

www.explorers.org

April 11, 2012 - 09:00
Reply #1

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
A good selection of photos and the dimensions of the one I have are in here :

http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=1032.msg86490#msg86490

April 11, 2012 - 09:57
Reply #2

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Not only were they fairly much the same through Series 1 but through 2 and 3 etc too, so ask anyone for a look at theirs and then borrow it!  There would seem to be some odd different ones but on the whole they conform.

April 11, 2012 - 14:03
Reply #3

Offline serie-ous

• LRSOC Member
Ray Dave Roger etc.
The cranks seem to be pretty standard.
57's sketch (from the "Do you use...?") post is a good guide. (I've attached a copy here.)
The end is slightly tapered. Do you want those dimensions?
Check with one of the other local Landie clubs...someone should have a crank.
There is a chap in Van who seems to have broken some LR's; he used to sell spares on ebay. I think "tall gypsy" is his ebay handle.
I may be able to dig up his direct contact info, if you need it.
Regards.

April 11, 2012 - 15:06
Reply #4

Offline serie-ous

• LRSOC Member
Detail of the taper at the end.
It's a little corroded; probably original (correct) measurements might give a 45 degree taper?

April 11, 2012 - 22:46
Reply #5

Offline rayhyland

• Non-Member
  • How could anyone only own one Land Rover?
Great info guys, thanks very much.

And TallerGypsy on Roverlanders is actually Ray Woods who makes the Roverdrive overdrive units. I didn't know he had any series parts left, I will give him a call. Thanks!

Ray Hyland
Member of The Explorers Club, Fellow of the RCGS, Contributing Editor for Overland Journal and Expedition Portal. Land Rover Addict.

www.explorers.org

April 12, 2012 - 10:04
Reply #6

Offline Bjornung

• LRSOC Member
No mentioning of handles for Series Ones with capstan winch fitted?
I suppose they are similar - only shorter?
Regards
Bjørnung

Currently restoring 86" 1955
Daily car - Discovery 4 SDV6 2015
Previous owned LR: Discovery II V8, 110, RRC 1978 (my daily car for 30 years)
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA and have photography in general as a small hobby.

April 12, 2012 - 10:15
Reply #7

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
No mentioning of handles for Series Ones with capstan winch fitted?
I suppose they are similar - only shorter?
Regards
Bjørnung

I think I am right to say Tankman has been making these . He posted a picture yesterday of one in the earlier thread.

http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1032.0;attach=17661;image

November 28, 2019 - 16:55
Reply #8

Offline GunnarTM

• Verein Landschaftsschutz Platzenberg
The '53 Series I 80" I drive was missing the 218508 hand starting crank, so I ordered one from Dunsfold.  I had to use a Dremel to file off just a skosh of flashing from the bumper hole so the pin cleared, but now it fits and works perfectly.  I know it's supposed to go behind the seats (along with the Shelly LJ25C jack handle I hope to eventually find, along with he jack itself), but I'm loathe to drill any unnecessary holes in the body, so was thinking of installing two "terry clips" on one of the rear seatbacks which already has plenty of available holes.  Is that an okay idea?

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
'53 Series I 80" 36102446 HGUE53H 409YUE YJH780F 44AA91
'15 Defender 90" Heritage
'13 LR2 SD4 HSE
'13 LR4 SDV6 HSE
Former owner '62 Series IIa 109"

November 28, 2019 - 17:34
Reply #9

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
The 80" starting handle will have holes for the terry clips already drilled through the front section of the tub, there should be no need to drill fresh ones. The shaft handle lies across front of the tub floor, with handle onto rear side bench . It is clipped there in behind the spare wheel clamp.
There have been discussions of this before. look in forum search for the one in May 2019.    http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36622.msg285849#msg285849

(Sadly absolutely no one on this forum who has read any of these threads  has an 80" and has time to point a digital camera. Too busy admiring  it I suppose  :tic: )
1 Thank you.

November 28, 2019 - 18:20
Reply #10

Offline msm80

• RAF 1952 80" - 1948 80" - 1951 80" - Freelander2
Hi Tom
Hear you go, as my ex RAF spare lives on the bonnet you can see my starter handle!
Malcolm
2 Thanks.
My Co-Pilot in the 80  :  )
Are we there yet!!

Area Rep Dorset

November 28, 2019 - 18:31
Reply #11

Offline GunnarTM

^Excellent. As my rear spare makes this tougher, and there are no pre-drilled holes I can find, I'm going to give this a provisional trial, as the family thinks it "looks cool there" and will become a "conversation piece". "Provisional" because I"m slightly concerned it might rattle off :-)

'13 LR2 SD4 HSE
'13 LR4 SDV6 HSE

November 28, 2019 - 18:53
Reply #12

Offline msm80

• RAF 1952 80" - 1948 80" - 1951 80" - Freelander2
^Excellent. As my rear spare makes this tougher, and there are no pre-drilled holes I can find, I'm going to give this a provisional trial, as the family thinks it "looks cool there" and will become a "conversation piece". "Provisional" because I"m slightly concerned it might rattle off :-)

Hi Gunnar

Yes I'm lucky not to have the spare in the way, one of the few benefits of keeping it on the bonnet maybe :undecided: . Until I re-create a floor well for the spare (the tub floor was removed some time ago but for reasons I've yet to fathom out) I'm destined to keep a bonnet mount in use to true military style. However it is shame I cannot fold the screen down in the summer more often!! :(

The side seat mounting is a good idea. I've kept my hood side sticks there on occasion and then there is the puzzle how to stow the curved hoops as the earlier square ones could fit nicely along the capping behind the seats a bit like the CKD kits were shipped. An image of King George VI's 80" special build shows the hoops stowed that way.

Malcolm
1 Thank you.
My Co-Pilot in the 80  :  )
Are we there yet!!

Area Rep Dorset

November 29, 2019 - 19:50
Reply #13

Offline GunnarTM

I put on some removable zip-ties for security.  The clips don't rub against the canvas, either.  Now I just need a Shelley LJ25C, and I can mount the handle on the other seat-back, with the jack and wooden element under the passenger seat.

1 Thank you.
'13 LR2 SD4 HSE
'13 LR4 SDV6 HSE

November 30, 2019 - 12:30
Reply #14

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
In fact providing a spare wheel sits down in the 80" floor recess held by  the original equipment clamps, because of the form of the front panel it is still possible to withdraw or re clip the starting handle while the wheel is there. I wonder why you see no holes in the location that Malcolm's post suggests. The handle will seldom be necessary and needs to stay safe. The 2 clips part no 05555 show in the 1948-51 section of parts book Each is held by a single 2 BA x 1/2" screw with nut and spring washer through the back rest panel.  perhaps some over liberal coating of paint is obscuring the old holes? They are small.

Similar clips part no  05555 were employed for the jack extension handle. Early LR before 8666001 onwards had 4 2BA x 3/4"  screws for each clip.  Later after 8666001 this appears to have changed to two for each handle clip...The parts book shows these all muddled in with totals for the various staples that are used for securing straps for hood sides. By 52-53 the   quantity of screws needs was less due to the side body hood retaining plates.

The jack extension handle can be slid into position to be held by its clips behind rear seats too. It is also seldom needed. It is far better to have it (hiding) within the body sides..two fewer things to to worry about losing to gravity or the "lighter fingered brigade" by mistake.
1 Thank you.

November 30, 2019 - 16:54
Reply #15

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member

A question?

I may be misunderstanding - if the number of screws changed then did the design of the clip change? The later clips only have one hole each.

Nick.

November 30, 2019 - 17:53
Reply #16

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
A question?

I may be misunderstanding - if the number of screws changed then did the design of the clip change? The later clips only have one hole each.

Nick.
In the post where totals are mentioned I was Only quoting what is shown in the 80" parts books I have. I seem to recall a variation in the clips too. Was there also a small support block - sometimes at right angles across them- as part of them too ? . I hope someone can clarify.

December 03, 2019 - 16:57
Reply #17

Offline GunnarTM

Thanks for the detailed inputs.  I deliberately made the clips easily removable from the seat back (I only had to add one hole as I could use an existing second and there are already a bunch there anywhere) in case I decide to place it (and eventually the jack handle) inside the tub.  I was thinking I might be able to use some strong double-sided tape to not have to drill any holes.  I have to admit I sort of like having it there as a conversation piece ... and two removable zip ties keep it even more securely mounted than the clips already do.  I have options :-)

'13 LR2 SD4 HSE
'13 LR4 SDV6 HSE